Snake sitter needed

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Snake sitter needed

Postby mgiddings » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi guys as some of you know I will be going to the carribean for around a week in December (will discuss dates later).

I know it is only a week but I don't want to take any chances in case something goes wrong. I only need someone to sit one snow corn snake. Can anybody do this for me? Or know someone who is reliable? There won't be much to do just change water a few times and make sure nothing goes wrong. :) THANKS
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake sitter needed

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Animal Kingdom in Pta east does this kind of thing. Talk to Willie as Im sure he wont charge an arm.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:00 am

I would not bother if I was you mgiddings. A week is nothing really. I would suggest feeding her a week before you depart, then once she has defecated, clean out her cage & don't feed her again, so she won't poop in her cage while your gone. Ensure she has fresh water in a container that is too heavy for her to flip over & just leave her be, nothing could possibly go wrong. When people cool snakes for breeding, they leave them be for much longer periods of time. I would not stress. just being realistic here!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:21 am

I second DK on this one.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 am

I often go away for a week for work and have a number of animals. Take the precautions they suggested and a week is nothing in a snakes life.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:51 am

True. I didnt consider the time you would be away for!
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 am

I agree with the above. I would also offer to look after her for the week you are gone, but Snow Corns HATE me and I would hate it if something happened to her.

Make sure she has a full water bowl before you leave, and she should be fine. As DK said, don't feed her right before you leave, ensure she has defecated, and she should be fine.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby deleray » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:29 am

This is why snakes are so much better than cats or dogs :-)
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:32 am

When I first saw the heading I thought they were looking for someone else to do the snake sitin at Chameleon Village LOL.

A week away is not a problem, what I do is put a second waterbowl in each enclosure, that way one is the toilet and the other has fresh water.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Biosmith » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:34 pm

froot wrote:When I first saw the heading I thought they were looking for someone else to do the snake sitin at Chameleon Village LOL

LOL@ froot Did you want to volunteer? :)
Biosmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:40 pm

I vote froot. We can start our own sit in with Nile crocs in my pool and upstage the other guys hehe.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 am

Good point with the two waterbowl's froot, never thought about that. you always learn something new!
D
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping