Herpetology in NZ - a dead end.

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Postby KYNAN » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:08 pm

So you reckon that zoos and wildlife parks in NZ are to irresponsible to keep exotic reptiles in a manner that does not pose a substancial threat to NZ?

They are under supervision by the powers that be,as with all goverment no matter where you are ,initial supervision will be given there after keepers will be left to thier own devices.This is not a genralization of NZ keepers,but there are those among all of us whose do not have the responsibility to make sure escapes do not happen.
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake_freak » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:22 pm

there are those among all of us whose do not have the responsibility to make sure escapes do not happen.

Yea I agree and those individuals spoil it for everyone else, but IMO it should be the governments responsibility to make sure that permits are not issued to these people (eg. people who walk their ferrets on the beach :smt011 ). However the government finds it a lot easier to "cut corners" (actually more like "run straight across the middle of the field to the finish line") and just don't let anyone keep anything at all.
snake_freak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby KYNAN » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:36 pm

Solution to this problem-MOVE TO SOUTH AFRICA.
You can keep any exotic you want
Blue tongues-R1500
Beardies-R300
Water Dragons-R2000
Nigerians-FREE
ZIMS-FREE
GHANAIANS-FREE
The way they're destroy in our country -priceless
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake_freak » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:58 pm

Rub it in why don't you :cry:

I just came back to NZ from SA 2 months ago because of a medical problem. I couldn't afford treatment in SA, had no family to help me out there so I came back to NZ to get fixed up. But hopefully I'll be able to save up and come back to SA next year or maybe go to Australia.
snake_freak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake_freak » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:21 pm

How do nz folks find sheep in long grass????

a) very satisfying

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Q Did you know that New Zealanders have just discovered two new uses for sheep?
A Meat and wool.

Q What do Kiwi Blokes use as an aphrodisiac?
A Mint Sauce

I got heaps more of them, should probably go in the jokes forum though.
snake_freak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:32 pm

lol!! Keep them coming, but yes, in the fun and games forum.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:52 pm

NZ is far too cold for most reptiles to be able to survive. A friend of mine saw red eared sliders for sale there and they are the most invasive reptile probably in the world. That does not make sense.

Any tropical species of reptile should be allowed into NZ because they can never become established.

If Tokay or leopard geckos escaped in Natal they would survive and possibly the keeping of these prolific species should be investigated. Kynan you cannot butter your bread on both sides. If you want the pleasure of keeping geckos responsibily why should others not be allowed to.

I cannot see hundreds of reptile species surviving for even one season in NZ. It is far too cold and wet for numerous reptiles. Gila mobsters, fijian iguanas, chondropythons, Thorny devils, Kenyan sand boas, Uromastyx and many more.

NZ has already screwed up the islands and closing the gate after the horse has bolted is futile. Not releasing more species by the NZ governement would be a good thing but stopping the pet trade is just narrow minded.

The largest breeders of australian parrots are in NZ. Why are they not worried about these becoming invasive?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby KYNAN » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:10 pm

The difference is that our hobby in S.A is well established and according to Natcon(their own words)out of control.Sure Tokays can survive and maybe Leopards but then again let me state the tried and trusted phrase of"they don't have as many predetors as we do"
I think what NZ is trying to do is stop a problem before it starts.In this case my bread can be buttered on both sides as I live in S.A and am not worried about NZ.When that fight comes my way I would not expect anybody from NZ to help me.Why dont the NZ keepers fight the laws.For one thing smuggling reptiles into NZ does nobody any good and only widens the rift between keepers and the law.One must also remember this is an island we're talking about ,things get out of hand quite quikly on such a small land mass.
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:51 am

Kynan, Whats good for the goose is good for the gander...
We have had Americans do more to assist our little fight than most south african herpers have and I think that if we in sa can help in any way we should.

I think the problem is that there has been no research in to this. i personally think they should review there list of what is and is not allowed then get a few more of the reptiles with 0% chance of survival onto there allowed list. If not for the herpers at least for there zoo's What is a zoo without reptiles anyway?.
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:06 pm

You avoided my comments about species that would never survive in NZ.

Herpers should stand together no matter where they are. Except in KZN I suppose because they have had it far too easy for far too long now.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby KYNAN » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Gila mobsters

Similar to Geckogangstas or just another gang?
New Zealand's climate is complex and varies from warm subtropical in the far north to cool temperate climates in the far south

Summer Average maximum temperature: 20°-25°C (68°-77°F)
Winter Average maximum temperature: 10°-15°C (50°-60°F)

Obviously the desert species you have mentioned would not survive.But where do you stop eg.Arno and Kynan live in Nz,Arno's allowed to keep King Cobras(which to my knowledge would not survive)but Kynan's not allowed to keep Crested geckos which would survive,why should Arno be allowed to carry on with his passion for the cobras and Kynan's passion be suppressed.Give one kid a sweet and all will want,Johnny is difficult and wants a different sweet-get my drift
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby KYNAN » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:59 pm

Herpers should stand together no matter where they are. Except in KZN I suppose because they have had it far too easy for far too long now.

True ,but maybe we should sort out our own backyard before trying to help others.We have had it easy,but remember I'm a Joburg boy so I've see both sides-Try and buy a Ball python down here.Dont think It's easier down here in any way,in many aspects it's harder to keep reptiles down here than in your part of the world
We have had Americans do more to assist our little fight than most south african herpers have

Example?
KYNAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake_freak » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:15 pm

None of this "choose species that won't survive in the environment" thing should make any difference. People seem to try and prove that herp keeping is a biosecurity threat by using examples such as Florida, Guam, etc. These places only have problems because things were done incorrectly from the beginning and the authorities had no idea of what was happening until it was to late. There are multitudes of restrictions that can be applied to herp keepers to decrease the likelihood of any escape threat, whilst still allowing the hobby to exist. You see, if the NZ government didn't spend $30 000 on hip hop concerts in 2004, they would have been able to put "their" money to something better. In the end it comes down to the lazy ass authorities that just can't be bothered with the extra work. As well as a general ignoance of the the hobby and the culture behind it.
snake_freak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:39 am

Give one kid a sweet and all will want,Johnny is difficult and wants a different sweet-get my drift

Johnny should get a smack on the head!! pffft!! Spoilt brat!! :lol: :lol:
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping