Killing prey for feeding

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Re: Killing prey for feeding

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Tue May 24, 2011 6:36 am

That's pretty much how you do it. When I was doing it, I would remove the head and feet, but you would want to leave these attached, making the process a touch more tricky. I should think leaving the skin on the head would be okay, as removing skin from the body should be sufficient.
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Stroke and calm the animal first and make sure it's relaxed. Hit it right behind the head with something heavy and rigid. I find the back of one of my knives works nicely. Don't miss or you end up with a kicker!
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Da Twista » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Touchy subject this.

I personally use the snapping neck option. I have a container I bought awhile back that the lid has quite a deep ridge that fits into the container. I place the mouse or rat in there and wait a few seconds for it to try and escape, as the head comes out, a quick swift motion to close the lid snaps the neck. This way I don't have to even touch the mouse or rat plus as the muscles relax, the urine leaks into the container. Forceps and the snake is fed.

I must say that it's really not a nice feeling but snakes have to eat too, I prefer mice to die a quick death rather than being suffocated by the snake. But after some time one gets used to the feeling and it's not as bad as it was when you first did it.

Another method my brother used to use was taking it by the tail and smacking it against a corner of the desk but this sometimes does not work as I've seen a rat after being stunned get back onto his feet and walk off like nothing had happened. He now uses the same method I do.

Alternately buying frozen mice is going to be the best for you if you do not wish to kill them yourselves.
Da Twista
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping