Killing prey for feeding

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Re: Killing prey for feeding

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:03 pm

I also heard about the twist and pull method but being female I don't think I have the strength to do that :oops: ...or the heart
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue May 17, 2011 12:55 pm

I think its more heart than anything else, it really doesn't take much to snap the neck, but honestly I can't do it either and I am male, and I promise you muscle has nothing to do with it, except of course my heart muscle. :)

Some how it is easier to kill a rat than a fluffy bunny, strange how we are wired.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Tue May 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Funny thing about a "Fluffy bunny". . .
I bought one for our RTB a few weeks ago thinking that i might feel a bit bad feeding it this white rabbit with dark patches around the eyes. But moving along, I got home a while later, leaving the box on the kombuis counter, my girl friend opens it and says the following: CHRIS! I told you we cant have any more pet rabbits!!! So i tried explaining that it was for feeding to which she said no way!!

Now explain that one?
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Tue May 17, 2011 6:40 pm

@iviii, what you naming the bunny. LoL
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Tue May 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Hahahaha. We decided to name it Rabbitt. And yes, it is spelled with two T's at the end.... Oh and may I add since we have had him, we have found out he's a male and quite a well endowed male at that. . .
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:24 pm

We used to breed with dwarf bunnies so now it's extra hard to feed bunnies. What works for me is when I buy a bunny I give no "attention" to it, no cuddling or scratching his ears... try to see it as just a food item. And do not under any circumstances look them in the eyes, lol
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Carla try to find people who supply them frozen. That's so much easier.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby iiviii » Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 am

I think the biggest problem with the specific rabbit is that it's cute. Normally we bought "ugly" rabbits if that makes any sense.
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Sat May 21, 2011 10:28 am

Hahaha, those things are huge!! I knew of a guy here in East London that bred those and they were quite sizable animals. . .
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Sun May 22, 2011 3:37 pm

@ Carla, how much work is it to skin one? I wonder if there are other people out there that would want to do that?
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun May 22, 2011 8:10 pm

As far as I know its not that much work, I don't have the stomach though, will rather clean the cage
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 am

I have killed and skinned a number of rabbits in my time. All for the pot. Almost seems a waste to feed them to snakes as they make very good eating. To kill, I always just gave them a good blow to the back of the head with a stout stick. One hard whack is all it takes and is instant. The skinning itself is easy once you've done it once or twice, the skin just comes off, without need for cutting too much.
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 am

Skinning does expose the stomach and the entrails could fall out while the snake is eating the prey item. Those are an important part of the snakes diet.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

@Bushviper - There is no need to paunch or cut through the stomach lining when skinning the rabbit. It is better, if you want to keep the skin for later use, to first skin and then clean the animal. As I said earlier, it is fairly easy to skin the animal, the skin comes off the body quite easily.
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Well the skinning process as far as I know is to have the dead rabbit hung by its hind legs, first cut around each back leg, then the next slit is made from the cut around the leg to the anal region of the rabbit, then simply loosen the skin from the meat to get a hand grip and with using some strength pull downwards on the skin and it will go off to just behind the head and the front paws, there another circle incision is made around the paws and head to completely remove the skin. Sorry if it is a bit graphic, if you want to get a better idea I'm sure there will be clips on Youtube to show how
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Reptile Keeping