What grinds my gears! Do your research!

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

What grinds my gears! Do your research!

Postby Fangfan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Hey Guys,

Just had to share this with you.
I bought a corn snake a few months ago, and as I immersed myself into the world of snake keeping, I fell in love with Ball Pythons.
Did a ton of research, and started getting everything I need for my future companion.
So much so, that I ended up with a few extra heating pads, and a lot of decorations and piles of substrate.
When I finally got my beautiful pet, he could happily move into his new warm, humid enclosure.

As with any proud pet owner, I started showing him off to my friends and family, and took my sister's boyfriend to the petshop where I bought him.... Upon which he decided there and then to buy one for himself. No problem there, since I thought he would enjoy having a beautiful ball python anyway.

Here's the problem...
When he went to collect his ball python from the pet shop, he proceeded to, (hastily), buy an enclosure, and a bunch of other stuff he thought he would need.
Needless to say, without him doing research before hand, he ended up forgetting to buy a heating pad, and gauges, and he bought a hide that's was way too small for the animal.

I ended up sorting out his enclosure a day later, after the poor animal had to endure a night of freezing cold, in a new scary environment, with a hide he could not use.

Please remember, when you buy an animal, you are responsible for it's well being.
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What grinds my gears! Do your research!

Postby fredsmith » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Grinds me too.
Been in the same situation too, but with an iguana that was bought by a friend on impulse.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am

This is the case all too often today, people are ignorant and greedy. Newbies think they don't need help, truth is everyone benefits from a little help now and then even the most experienced keepers.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fangfan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks for the comments.
I find this forum invaluable, and I've learned so much already, by simply searching through the forums.
Thanks for the assist everyone.
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 am

You can never know to much.
If someone is willing to give you advise listen, even if you know what they are telling you.
That way they will still be happy to give you advice in future, and you may pick up on small things that can turn out invaluable.
I am involved in training graduates, and fresh out of the university with no experience they think they know it all.
The unfortunate thing with this hobby is that the animals suffers.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping