Registered Reptile Breeder

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Registered Reptile Breeder

Postby Feederwarehouse » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi guys, I've seen this a couple of times with people selling various reptiles. Did some search on google and can't find an association for this. So my question, is there such a thing as a Registered Reptile Breeder and were can I check that the person I am buying from belongs to this. Haven't asked the guys that are advertising cause I don't want to insult anyone but very curious as to what this entails
1.1.0 Corn snakes (Elaphe guttata)
2.0.1 Crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Registered Reptile Breeder

Postby Fangfan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:50 pm

I can recommend David Justus. He's in the Plattekloof/Panorama area.
That's for ball pythons though.
http://www.ballpythons4africa.co.za
Not sure what you're looking for.
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Belphagor » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

I think they are trying to make people trust them, But In all honesty (i might be wrong) there is no such thing as a "Registered Reptile Breeder"

I have also seen these adds on gumtree and so forth.
Its quite funny actually.
I lol'd
1.0.0 BumbleBee Ball Python
1.0.0 Enchi Ball Python
1.0.0 Lemon Pastel Ball Python
0.4.0 Normal Ball Python
1.1.0 Grey Banded KingSnake
2.2.0 BCI X BCC
0.1.0 Anery Boa
1.0.0 Bosc's Monitor
Belphagor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Feederwarehouse,

There are numerous Herp associations throughout SA and people can be members of these associations but none of them "register" reptile breeders as such. If you are concerned about a specific seller ask which association he / she belongs to and do enquiries there.
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:19 am

If the guy can lie about being registered then you have to ask what kind of people are you dealing with?
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fugly » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:35 am

If it is in the Western Cape area, it can just be that the breeder has all his snakes registered and on permit.
So he can be seen as a "Registered Breeder". It might just be a term they use for new people (first time reptile buyers) to trust them more. I might be wrong.
I would rather buy from a person keeping the snakes legally, support the guys that's doing it right.
Fugly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Feederwarehouse » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks for the responses guys. Just wasn't sure if there was something like the dog associations that you get but as I mentioned I couldn't find anything but I am still kinda new to all this so thought I'd ask the "experts"
1.1.0 Corn snakes (Elaphe guttata)
2.0.1 Crested gecko (Rhacodactylus ciliatus)
Feederwarehouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 am

In the Cape it could mean that he has permits i.e he is registered with Cape Nature. That coupled with the fact that he breeds makes him a "Registered breeder". It does not imply that he is registered with any organisation or entity who approves and regulates the breeding of reptiles.

When in doubt ask him who he is registered with and ask for a copy of the registration form. Then wait .........
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby nvlooi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:38 pm

I actually saw a add on gumtree earlier where the person states he is a registered breeder. That will as BV et al said that they only have their animals on permits.

If you see this topic fugly is trying to get a group of us together to try and create a association in the western cape. Where it would not be impossible to get a internal ordinance implace to create a standard of keeping and breeding reptiles.http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26805

I truly hope we can get something like that off the ground and it is then important even for the once off keeper or newbie to learn and take from every oppurtunity of this association(or just a group of people of common interest).

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping