Venomous display snakes

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Venomous display snakes

Postby Shamrock » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 pm

I would like to know, how many of you keep Hot snakes as display snakes inside your homes?
If you do, can you please post a photo of your setup?
I'm not really going anywhere with this, just want to know what the general feeling is about this as I have seen some really nice looking display setups with Hot snakes.
Don't worry, its completely tame . . .
Shamrock
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Venomous display snakes

Postby Dispholidus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 am

Personally I wont keep hots inside my house, the risk of one getting out and biting me or one of family members or pets are just so much greater. I have all my snakes in an outside room and even then all the cages are locked, the outside door is lock, with the key in a key safe on the key safe's key around my neck at all times.
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:09 am

Dispholidus wrote:Personally I wont keep hots inside my house, the risk of one getting out and biting me or one of family members or pets are just so much greater. I have all my snakes in an outside room and even then all the cages are locked, the outside door is lock, with the key in a key safe on the key safe's key around my neck at all times.

Thats a good protocall, but a little overkill.
I would say whitelips make good, affordable display snakes. They are farely dosile (Mine are) so yea they are pretty cool and you can set up a nice dispaly viv for them... If you have an aquarium that is large enough and can close propperly and have enough ventilation you can set up something real nie...
If youre cages are safe and sturdy with no holes and places for the snakes to get out throught then there is nothing wrong with keeping hots in the house!

Cobras I would not suggest... they dont realy display so well, correct me if I'm wrong but they stress easily.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TheJester » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:01 pm

I have a whitelip, which I keep in my study. I have a lock on it at all times and nobody is in study without me.
White Lip Tree Viper 0.0.1
Striped California King 0.1.0
Sinaloan Milk 0.0.1
Black Mexican King 1.0.0

Idle minds are the devil’s playground
TheJester
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:20 pm

The problem with cobras is they are active snakes. So many of them especially the larger cobras, like Naja haje species tend to mess up their cages. Stress can be a big problem, as they can develope serious nose rub or damage the nose from hooding and striking at the glass repetitavely. At the Boma Reptile World we have six big +- 2m Snouties that we can't put on display because they are so aggresive that they hurt themselves by hitting the glass. We have found though that for some reason the forest cobras do particularly well when housed in a very large arboreal cage :D If gaboons werent so prone to stress i would suggest them.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shamrock » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.
It's good to hear some different opinions. I dont have anything venomous at this stage, but have kept some in the house previously.
My son is 7 months old now and even though I am planning to get Hots again, some time in the future, I dont think that I wil keep them in the house. It may be okay now but when he starts walking and getting curious then I dont want anything in the house that can harm him if he manages to get a cage open.

However I would love to build a all glass coffee table (I think it was BV that mentioned the idea - so not my own) with a nice looking "display" snake inside. I think I'll stil give it a go in the near future, but maybe with a non-venomous.

Any ideas on what species wil work well? Must be able to hadle a lot of movement aroung the cage and not be the type to hide away the whole day.
Don't worry, its completely tame . . .
Shamrock
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping