Venomous reptile water top up

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Venomous reptile water top up

Postby Qball » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 am

Hey guys
Just thought I'd share one of my ideas. Been using it for a few months now and haven't had any problems.
I can top up my water bowls after a lot of evaporation from outside the enclosure, just put the pipe into the water bowl and squeeze the bottle.
It's just a 2 litre coke bottle with a hole drilled in the top, then push a fish tank air line into the hole. Must be a really tight fit so it doesn't pop out, or leak water. Then made a wire brace to hold the pipe straight, cable tied and bent it fast to the pipe.

Nothing major, but just makes things safer, and that's never a bad thing... :D
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Venemous retile water top up

Postby Smeegle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 am

Awesome tip, thanks for sharing!

I'll definitely make use of your idea, we need more stuff like this:)
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Venomous reptile water top up

Postby Bushviper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:12 pm

That will work nicely. Just remember to thoroughly wash the water bowls every week or ten days even if they do not mess in it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Qball » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:44 pm

I only use it to top up and when I've washed the bowls and have placed them in the cage to be filled up. Easier as I don't spill trying to balance a full bowl...
Bowls get washed once a week, and whenever there is a mess in it. Have an excel file printout on my cupboard with feeding/cleaning schedules etc.
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Found that 5 or 10l pressurized garden sprayers with a long handheld nozzle work a charm. You can hit the water bowl from the other side of the cage if need be and control the amount of water nicely. They are a bit pricey though but worth it.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nicolaas » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:52 am

Hey guys here's another way to water you venomous water bowls,by using these annoying vuvazelas. It has worked very well for me so far and I'm a proud owner of a vuvazela in my snake room.lol...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nicolaas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nicolaas » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:01 am

Sorry for poor quality of
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nicolaas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby iiviii » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:46 am

@nicolaas, what snake are you housing in that setup (first picture)? Is there not a chance that the snake could try and make a break for the gap? I think the idea in the second photo looks good. As long as the hole at the top can be closed securely.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping