Private seller

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Re: Private seller

Postby scotty121 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 am

I do aim to make a little bit of money and I would like to do pythons and colubrids.

I'm thinking of going with Royal/ball python, corn snake's, house snake's just for a while then moving on to other stuff. :)
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:11 am

The Ball python market is quickly maturing and prices are already dropping a a rate.
Unless you are going to be breeding hi end animals we are talking animals in the R8000 - R20000 range and at a HUGE scale you're not really going to be making money.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:46 am

Unless you are going to be breeding hi end animals we are talking animals in the R8000 - R20000 range and at a HUGE scale you're not really going to be making money.

Especially if you're planning on keeping Corns and House snakes.

If you want to make money, you have to look at high-end Ball and Retic morphs. Colubrids are cool, but they don't command as high prices as Pythons and you're likely not to make a profit, especially if you aim to look after them properly.

Without trying to sounds rude now, but I had a look at some of your other posts and you seem very inexperienced. I'd say keep Housies and Corns first and make a loss like the rest of us, breed them, get to learn the ropes and then only start thinking about more valuable animals.

Imagine paying R20,000.00 for a Retic and having it die on you because of lack of experience.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:51 am

Westley - Some sound advice given there. It costs big money to purchase the original high end equipment used to produce the high end product.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I was going to buy a;
Ball pythons;
Male Bumblebee
Female normal
Female yellowbelly
Corns charcoals pair
amel pair
normal pair
house snake's;
Brown house snake
Olive house snake
I was going to breed these as my first time ?:)
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 pm

All sounds good scotty but you must rember its not only the snakes to buy, you will need caging,heating,substrate and feeding all the snakes.

Once you start breeding you will need an icubator, baby racks and allot of pinkys to feed those hungry snakes. So all of that will add up, take a look on some of the websites where they sell the equipment, add the price of all the snakes and the equipment and see if you still want to breed. I know people that has been breeding snakes for a long time and has not seen much of a profit as yet.

If you decide to breed then good luck mate.
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:50 am

imperial exotix wrote:All sounds good scotty but you must rember its not only the snakes to buy, you will need caging,heating,substrate and feeding all the snakes.

Once you start breeding you will need an icubator, baby racks and allot of pinkys to feed those hungry snakes. So all of that will add up, take a look on some of the websites where they sell the equipment, add the price of all the snakes and the equipment and see if you still want to breed. I know people that has been breeding snakes for a long time and has not seen much of a profit as yet.

If you decide to breed then good luck mate.

I understand I need this stuff and that is why my uncle is making me alot of racks he is buying everything I need and also we have made a glass cabinet ( really long and big) into a incubator we have about 5 at the moment so all he is doing is waiting for me to return. :)
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:18 pm

How about egg eaters?
Are there many being bred in captivity at the momment? If not, then that could be an idea due to the possible low amount of competition.
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping