BIIIIG sigh of relief!

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

BIIIIG sigh of relief!

Postby Bianca » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:13 pm

I have been struggling with my 3 Ball Pythons this year.

1. Normal female usually eats very well but has shown less and less interest in the past few months.
2. Spider male usually eats well but hasn't responded well to food either lately.
3. Normal male stopped eating in March this year.

Although I was told countless times that this was somewhat normal, it didn't help my stress levels!

I don't like feeding live, I prefer thawed, but lately my snakes have not been interested in either live or frozen which was a bit troubling. They don't show interest in the thawed rats, and live rats have been able to 'scare' them a lot lately. It's pretty much been a nightmare to feed for a while and I was losing motivation.

BUT!!!!!! BUT BUT BUT!!!! This Saturday I decided to get a few smaller-than-usual rats to test the waters.

1. Normal female gulped two medium rats down without any problems!
2. Spider male was hesitant at first but as soon as I moved him into a bigger space he was quite keen and finished his meal!
3. Normal male who had stopped eating for 9 whole months was hesitant and took a LONG time to become interested but EVENTUALLY he got the idea and gobbled up TWO medium rats!!

I AM SO ECSTATIC! I can't even explain! The biggest SIGH of relief and complete relaxation followed!!

If there is anyone out there still struggling with the 'winter fast', I hope this encourages you.

Back to normal now! Whew!!
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Re: BIIIIG sigh of relief!

Postby LAMB Pythons » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Its always a great feeling when they start eating again!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Re: BIIIIG sigh of relief!

Postby Bushviper » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 pm

I would also have been worried by now. Glad they are eating again. Feed them every 5 days until they are nice and chubby again and then you can slow down a bit.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping