Snake handling equipment and new ideas custom made

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Snake handling equipment and new ideas custom made

Postby Bjorn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:42 pm

I have just received my latest import and I am very happy with the equipment and quality. I have a few items my exporter offers but I am also able to get custom products made up. I have already had a few ideas made and customized with this import.

Here is some of the stock I ordered in

The baggers need some taylored work before they go out. I am still perfecting them.

I have asked for all handles to have a mirror finish
Standard 100cm (old pictureso now polished)
130cm foldable and 100cm M1 tongs
Gentle Giant 100cm
Python/Gaboon hook set. I found the one to narrow so I asked for some wider ones
PRO hook 115cm large but light weight which is nice for large Elapids like Forest Cobras and Mambas.

I can get snake pinning tools and hook combinations as well as different attachments for the bagger system such as standard hooks, Gaboon/python hooks and pinners etc. Then there are sexing probes, pinky pumps, hemostats, mini hooks, field hooks etc. Not sure many of us will get away with a field hook lifting rocks so not sure if there is a market.

If anyone has ideas how to better these products or want to see some new things on the market please let me know. Good news bad news it's all good in the end. Thanks!
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake handling equipment and new ideas custom made

Postby bitis keeper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Hows the tongs?are they light weight?
bitis keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Tongs are perfect in my opinion and haven't had problems with the ones I have sold months ago. They all weigh around 550 grams so very comfortable weight.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:02 pm

I was thinking the other day about having a tong that uses a rubber strip rather than the hard top jaw of some of these tongs now days. I think it would be very gentle to a snake.

So I decided to do a google search the other day and see it has been done and found it has but with a leather strap. Looks like a great tool.
Image fromhttp://www.metronome-trading.com/ttw/cfc06.htm click this link for more info and pictures.

So now I am looking at putting this idea into action with my own design. I would be interested in your opinions about this type of tong?
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Bjorn i really like that bagging system any idea of what they would go for?
Is that bag detachable?

The new tongs look great with the high polish effect.

Have had great success with my tongs i got from you a few months back stood up well.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bjorn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:37 pm

yeah the baggers are going to be so handy. Can't wait to test them out on some of my psychos. LOL Got a 2,3m Forest cobra and some big mambas that hate tubs. I think it will make my life a lot safer. Easy to move in front of a snake compared to a tub and also they see it as a refuge.

The baggers are going for R950ea and come with two bags. Both are removable and you can have it with the inner and outer bag at the same time but I don"t see why as one bag is enough. The one bag has a tubing sleeve as tubing a mamba is not always easy and this method should work well. You can always cable tie the tube bag and then you have two catching bags. I have super limited stock on these but will get more depending on interest.

Must say not much interest with this topic of mine.I don't expect people to share their ideas if they look at marketing them but not much input on the subject of new products or how to better them etc.

I am glad the tong is doing well for you. I haven't had any issues and this new stock is even more class. It's great dealing with a company that is asking my advice on how to better their products and actually puts it to work.

Maybe if I double the price they will sell better as if things are cheaper they normally inferior. LOL

My next import will have baggers with different attachments for the pole so it can treble as a hook and a pinner.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:24 am

The tongs with the strap is a good idea, but in that picture the only problem I have is that it looks as if the sides of the lower "lip" are edged upwards... Wouldn't that cause damage to a reptile being grabbed? Just concerned that with the movement/struggling snake, it could cause some damage... Also, if trying to manouvre a snake for heading, the ventral scales might catch on the "lips", and cause stress/damage to the snake... One would obviously have to try and make it so that it has an upward hook on the end,sort of like the pilstroms upside down, having the leather band coming down between the upward points, so that the snake doesn't just glide out as you close the tong... Just my observations.

The other thing I'm having trouble finding is a decent length/sized feeding tongs/tweezers/hemostats... I'm using a 40-50cm tong at the moment, but if I drop the food item in the enclosure, I have to use either a seperate hook to drag it closer to pick up again, or put my hand inside the enclosure with the tongs to grab... That is a situation begging for trouble with my male puffy who is the devil incarnate... Any products that are a decent length, but still hold the prey item safely/securely?
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 am

Erk... Where's the darned edit button! Sorry Bjorn, just looked at the photo again, and realised that there's a rubber pad there, and it makes it look like there's lips there... My bad! Still, would feel safer using it if there was an upward pointing section on each side of the end of the lower lip.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:57 am

Bjorn I have made tongs almost exactly the same as the ones you googled. Mine used a tight rubber band instead of leather because then you can use maximum pressure without hurting the snake. They worked okay but I would still not go after a mamba with them. For thick bodied snakes like puff adders and really thin snakes like boomslang and twig snakes they are the best thing around.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 am

No worries! I can see your concerns about the snake slipping out. I also though that a snake could slip out and thats why I would prefer to have the top jaw have a hook end that passes the front of the lower jaw. This will then prevent a snake from passing through the front of the tong.

With regards to the feeding I find the good old standard tong works wonders and I can pick up a fuzzy if I need to. I used them for feeding my retics pigs, rattlers and other venomous snakes. You have plenty reach and good control. I do want to get some hemostats with rubber ends and it shouldn't be a problem just that 50-60cm will be hard to find. I will check the catalog for some ideas but it might have to me made up. I have seen a monster pair before so will ask my friend in the health care industry.

@ Arno, do you have any pictures of them still. I was also thinking the mambas might be an issue. LOL They always are it seems. I have seen pinners that work with a rubber band but when more pressure is placed for large snakes it has a solid rod that that pushes against the band thats on the snake. I think with fine tuning this could also work with the tong?

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Fooble, here is what the baggers look like

I still want to test these out on my snakes as well as in a call out situation. Pretty sure they will work like a charm though.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Bjorn, don't know how many people would need, but what about a scoop of sorts, on a stick? For the chaps with venomous in "natural enclosures"? Would eliminate the need to remove or cordone off the animal when trying to remove faeces and the substrate attached to it? I know I get tired of moving my puffies every time they defacate...
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Sorry I only saw this post now. I have used normal tongs for mulch and feces but on sand it will be an issue. I am not sure what the demand would be for this but not a bad idea. Lots of people also use newspaper so you have to change the lot. Them a lot of guys are using shift boxes etc.

So your thinking of something like a poop scoop but that the scoop sits at a 90 degree angle off the rod. You could also just use a small hand spade on a rod.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Qball » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 pm

Received my M1 tongs yesterday. Just because it's cheaper than a set of Midwest, doesn't mean it's made cheaply. I gave them the once over and couldn't find a single thing wrong or something I wasn't happy with. I know it's not a "brand name" but you won't be disappointed.
Thanks again Bjorn!
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:36 pm

Please mind I’m not very good at editing pictures,

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j42 ... tor08l.jpg

So was thinking if you have two bottom jaws or make it that the bottom jaw and top jaw can going past (through ) each other to an extent, this will mean that when your handle is completely close ( full grip or power ) that you will have max hold on the snake.

It’s just an idea and I’m by now means a snake pro, never even used tongs before lol but like being creative
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to General Reptile Keeping