Humidity help please

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Re: Humidity help please

Postby shadowfoot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies, they have been really helpful.
Next question is: what are all the parts needed for a ceramic heat emitter? Or can I buy a kind of ready to use one?
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hoss » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Well you can put the heat emitter into a regular ceramic light fitting (Please ceramic, not plastic, they get hot! And don't skimp, get a decent one). The heat emitters are the screw in variety, not bayonet so get the appropriate light fitting. For the size enclosure you have you might want to go for the lowest wattage you can get. I don't know if its appropriate to punt specific stores but go onto reptilecity's online store and check what is available there. You'd also want a thermostat with that. The basic analogue variety will be fine. You'll also want to make sure you enclose the heat emitter so that your snake can't come near it because they get wicked hot and a burn from the heat emitter is just not going to work out. I tested my 150w emitter with a temp gun and it was a sizzling 300 odd degrees celcius on its surface!

If you're still uncertain on what to get, pop the guys on the above mentioned site a mail, I'm sure they'll advise you on what to get because the service I've gotten from them has only been good.
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks Hoss, that was exactly the advice I was after.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping