Glass enclosure heat sources?

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Glass enclosure heat sources?

Postby PBV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:54 am

Hi All,

I've seen a couple of pictures of people keeping their reptiles in glass enclosures,specifically the Exo-Terra enclosures. How does one provide adequate temperatures in these enclosures? Do they come with light fittings? Or are you forced to use heat pads? :-?
PBV
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Glass enclosure heat sources?

Postby kinghero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 am

I use heating pads, but it comes down to size and what you are keeping.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby PBV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 am

What I want to know is,can you attach a fitting to them or do they have fittings for various light/heat sources?
PBV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:55 am

You can buy fittings that take heat emitters or lights. These then clamp on the Exo-Terra cage.

Something like this: http://reptilecity.co.za/catalog/produc ... cts_id=420
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby PBV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 am

Thank you Mitton. Would it be viable to use such a setup in a Exo-Terra Nano enclosure housing a aboreal viper?
PBV
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:29 am

I would avoid that, unless you have a way of preventing the viper on getting onto the heat source, this comes back to size and type of animal like I mentioned. Also in a small enclosure you have to keep in mind that it will be harder to do a hot and cold spot if your heat source takes up a lot of space.

Is it the Nano wide or Nano Tall? I am sure you could put that kind of connecter with clamp on the outside, I could be wrong.

I had a look at this website, http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/na ... m_nano.php and it says they come with a canopy so I’m sure that all your light fixtures are included in this canopy?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 am

Kinghero, these clamp on the outside of the cage, so does not take up any space inside the cage and the snake can't get to the heat source.

PBV, I am not sure if it will work on a Nano, the cage might just be too small and then as Kinghero said there might not be much of a temp gradient. It is better to use as a hot spot on one side of the cage and the other side is cooler.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby kinghero » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:55 am

I see thanks Mitton, like I said surly if it has the canopy it will have the connecters in the canopy?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping