Temperature controllers and Temp/Humidity sensors

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Are you interested?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Yes - but only the temperature and light controller
58%
Yes - but only the temperature and humidity sensor
8%
Yes - Both
33%
No
No votes
Maybe
No votes
To expensive
No votes

Total votes : 12

Temperature controllers and Temp/Humidity sensors

Postby bradmiller » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Mods - please advise if this is in the wrong section.

I am looking at importing some temperature and light switching controllers as well as some temperature and humidity sensors and would like to know if anyone wants in on the order.

The temperature controller is similar to the Lucky Reptile unit but a little updated.
It has a clear LCD panel and the following specs:
Accuracy - 0.1°C
Control mode - on/off
Feature
1. Temperature control settable for daytime and night-time mode.
2. Lighting ON and OFF for every 24 hours

Looking at landed costs of +/- R450 per unit.

The temperature and humidity sensor is like the exo-terra one - battery operated.
A simple LCD showing temperature and humidity.

Looking at landed costs of +/- R150 per unit.

Anyone interested?
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Temperature controllers and Temp/Humidity sensors

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

Brad, my main concern is that there are already pretty good quality thermostats, with the same temp control and light control which you mention, and for exactly the same price.

In fact, my ones cost R400 and look exactly like the Lucky Reptile unit.

So I wonder if it's worth all the effort of importing if they are available locally.

Even the temp/humidity sensors are available for the same price as your advertising, so I wonder if it's worth it.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby bradmiller » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 am

Some pics of the items

You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:19 am

Westley - please tell me then where you get them... not sure if you on has a day and night temp setting?

I just want to set up my tanks properly and can only find these guys over seas - at a fair price. They are sold locally but at huge mark-ups :-(
I have been told that a unit will be done this year that does temp (day/night) lights and humidity, something I cant find here in SA.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 am

Okay, your thermostats are definitely better than the local ones, price wise. I was thinking of the other, more basic ones, so they will definitely be worthwhile, but the temp/humidity sensor is exactly the same as the local ones.

I'd say definitely worthwhile importing the thermostats at that price.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby bradmiller » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 am

ok - do tell then for the sensors....
Thought I did my homework - well half of it at least.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 am

Westley is right, the thermostats we get for R490 are great but only has one temp setting and a light on\off.

If yours have the day\nigth setting and is only R450 then they will sell for sure, those ones normally go for R850 (don't go make yours more expensive now!! ;) )

The digital thermometer\hygrometer I use now keeps the history and looks better and I am sure I paid about R170 for it.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby bradmiller » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:03 am

Mitton - I wont do that - I need for myself anyway and have to meet some MOQ (minimum order quantity) so at least I can get a few other enthusiasts to join in and make it worth while.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wimpievanzyl » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:45 am

Hi I will take 2 thermostats when you can get them keep me informed please as I am also looking into
them and at that price you can`t go wrong!
wimpievanzyl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Something to note!
I will order the controller with no plug (bare wires) and socket (also bare wires) as they can only supply the EU/schuko plug - for me a real pain in the backside.
I would rather put my on plug on and connect light and heating pad directly - also saves space and can be made tidier than those pesky schuko plugs with converter adapters.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Well I have a couple of those on my racks, unfortunately the timer function is not working on them so they just regulate the temperatures(got them at a discounted price).
For what works on mine works well and they seem easy to use in my opinion.
If you can bring them in at that price I’ll take two.
Just one word of caution, try get the money first as people are always keen till they need to pay,
and you may end up sitting with a bunch of thermostats you don’t need(although at that price I don’t think you’ll have trouble selling them)
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up Kev - unfortunately I have learnt my lesson from past "deals".
I need a whole bunch anyway and I have a mate that is keen to join in and stock up his shops - so either way looks like I am going to go ahead.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:14 am

I would be very interested in one or two of these once i have my new room up and running, which unfortunately will only be in a month or 2 time. I first have to get our new place up and running before i start with my snakes though.
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 am

lol @ marc bt - I am going through the same situation.
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:27 am

We had a fire at our place last year September, and we only moving in next week! All animals survived but it did mess a bit with my plans in terms of breeding for this season.
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to General Reptile Keeping