Just a quick question (Corn Snake Substrate)

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Just a quick question (Corn Snake Substrate)

Postby Dazed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:32 pm

I am now getting my second corn snake next week. Had my first for about 18 months now and very happy with him and he seems very happy. That being said I always used Aspen as substrate which was great until ReptileCity discontinued them. Well at the moment I am using Kenaf and that seems to be ok and the snake does seem to enjoy it. I just want any tips regarding subrate for corn snakes. I probably don't know all the products on the market. How well does sand work? Is Kenaf good enough. What other options are there that is better? Any help would be great. Thanks
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Just a quick question (Corn Snake Substrate)

Postby sega » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi there Dazed,i use news paper for mine at the moment witch is fine but i want to move on to aspen so that i can spot clean instead
of changing the newspaper every three days.
I think you should find another aspen supplier,when i used to use it the snakes seamed to love it.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby taiwanbeauty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Sand is a big NO NO!!. they do clog up the snake and isn't the most sterile of sunstrates. It goes stale very quickly and has to be completely replaced. I have used bark chips before(really small chunks 2-10mm) and it works great, it also looks fantastic.
IN THE BIBLE GOD GIVES US PERMISSION TO TREAD ON A SNAKES HEAD, ALL I CAN SAY IS “ PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP”.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Kenaf moulds easier, the snakes don't seem to tunnel in it as much, doesn't mask odours as well and I hate the dust, but it is cheaper...

You should still be able to order Aspen from most Pet Shops... For a small collection it is the perfect substrate for a Corn Snake. I'm going to get myself some Astroturf so I can use that instead of Aspen when I can't get hold of it though.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dazed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Anyone know where I can get a respectable supplier near Centurion for Aspen? I don't mind paying extra to keep my snake happy. I can see when he was using Aspen he was tunneling a lot and seemed happy :) The kenaf works but he doesn't tunnel at all anymore and I also hate the dust. Hence the question lol. I need a new supplier or the next best thing to Aspen. Ill have a look at bark chips. I get most of my things from reptilecity as they deliver it straight to my door next day :) Any other suppliers of Aspen and other equipment near Centurion?
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 pm

I always stock aspen, although I am currently waiting for my new shipment from Marltons, which as usual takes forever... Once I have in stock again I can even ship it with regular post if your not that keen on driving. It takes 4-5 days and is probably cheaper than what petrol would cost :)

If its urgent, I might possibly be able to help you with a bag or 3.
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dazed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm

cool man :) its not really that urgent since I still have a bag of kenaf left lol. I only have 2 snakes so I don't use that much. Pm me what you will ask me and where to come and collect it :P thanx
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping