Breeding Time Frames?

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Breeding Time Frames?

Postby gekosin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi All

I just wanted to find out of there is some sort of time frame related to when breeding ends or is it all situational? We had a small issue with a snake escaping and had to put it with our other snake for a few days till we sort out the escape routes... Im not sure if what i saw was them locking together but it could have been? Is it possible that she may become gravid this late in the year?
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeding Time Frames?

Postby Unforgiven » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:01 am

I would say it depends on what snake it is.

If its a corn or similar its quite likely as mine and my gfs pair was bred late last year around this time and still produced viable eggs
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:51 pm

I often need to remind myself that snakes don't read the books, publications or advice that we do, so they don't adhere to any calender or schedule.

I would not be surprised if you end up with eggs, irrespective of species.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby gekosin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am

So since my last post on the 30th the snake in question has changed her behavior totally, she hides all the time and barely moves off the heat mat, she has eaten but with none of the enthusiasm she usually would. I noticed 2 days ago she is starting to go blue, its only been about 15 days... So would this be too early for her to go through a pre-lay shed? I have already made plans to make an incubator in case so i am prepared in that regard.
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping