Permits needed for all exotics in South Africa?

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Permits needed for all exotics in South Africa?

Postby Andre.P » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:21 am

I was searching for blacklisted species of reptiles and mammals in South Africa and came across the following:

"The government published a set of regulations on 19 July 2013 which affect gardeners, pet enthusiasts and property owner across the country. The regulations are related to the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act, 2004 (Act No. 10 of 2004) and contain lists of invasive species which require a range of control measures including removal, permits and management plans if found on your property." - http://www.invasives.org.za/item/469-ne ... ished.html

Now, as I understand the act, we now need permits to keep ANY "alien species" (NEM:BA Section 65(1)), except those mentioned in the "Exempted Alien Species" section :shock: . They also mention "invasive species" (NEM:BA Section 71(1)), which include indigenous species, for which a special permit is needed.

According to the act: "A person who has under his or her control a specimen of a prohibited alien species must, within three months after the promulgation of these Regulations, notify a competent authority with jurisdiction in that area of this occurrence" (NEM:BA 2004: Alien and invasive species regulations, Chapter 5, 14(1)). - 19 July 2013 was more than 3 months ago...

Also, many species of fish, some lizards and a few snakes are now prohibited! (http://www.invasives.org.za/resources/d ... -2013.html AND http://www.invasives.org.za/resources/d ... -2013.html)

The good news is that most amphibians and terapins are now legal to keep - although we might need permits?

Am I understanding this correctly or is my insomnia really playing tricks on m mind? :smt021

All the new regulations can be found here:
http://www.invasives.org.za/resources/d ... ation.html

NEM:BA 2004:
http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... G4&cad=rja

Kind regards,

Andre
I am not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.....
Andre.P
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Permits needed for all exotics in South Africa?

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:24 am

This is where anyone with influence in the herp society of South Africa should form a USark type of party set out to fight these senseless restrictions and bans.

After so many years of these animals being kept in our country have they suddenly become an evasive species?
Are they colonized anywhere in our country? So unless of an act of God occurs how could they ever possibly threaten our wildlife?

What makes one species of gecko located in the northern hemisphere an evasive species when another species of gecko located in the southern hemisphere, that actually can adapt to the climate in certain provinces of our country, an evasive species?

Global warming has messed with the worlds climate so bad so what exemplifies any species not native to a specified region as not being evasive?

The Florida powertrip has finally hit our country and the people making theses bans don't know what they are talking about. I highly doubt that they have ever taken care of an exotic reptile or invertebrate so what makes them the expert?

If we are going to live life this way we might as well live in a closet. I mean everything has its pros and cons. Why does a handful of irresponsible people have to ruin it for the responsible people?

Ignore my first post, I left out a few words that made the post make no sense. I too suffer with insomnia and 2 hours sleep before a working day has caught up with me
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Bushviper » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:22 am

Nope this only applies to the species listed as alien invasive species like red eared sliders and Boiga irregularis. Just relax.

We are in constant communication with the authorities and something like this would not have slipped by.

The implementation still has to be published and this will take a few months if not years.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Andre.P » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:35 am

I am glad to hear that! Although I would like to keep some horned toads and poison arrow frogs..

Who sets up these "blacklists" anyway? I would love to know why Hemidactylus mabouia is on the invasive list (yes, I know they are invasive in Gauteng, but they occur naturally in KZN). Will these animals need to be 'controlled' in their native environment? If anything a species like this can be on a provincial blacklist, but should come nowhere near a national blacklist.

Similar with Plecostomus, they are not mentioned on the invasives list, but they want to completely blacklist them? These things have also been in the country for decades, so with no proof of invasive potential, why suddenly blacklist one of the most common fish in the pet industry. Makes no sense to me.

Thanks for clearing things up BV.
I am not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.....
Andre.P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:51 am

Hemidactylus must be controlled if they are could be located to a new area. That means you cannot take them with you are release them if you move to another area. Seems kinda silly because they move by themselves. That ship has sailed just like Mynah birds.

Plecostomus are a massive problem in countries where they have been released. They are bony and almost nothing eats them. They also grow to a massive size. Go google the size animals they are catching in parts of the US where they have been released.

There is no reason why we should not be allowed to have the frogs you mention. The problem is that because they might carry chitrid fungus they will be turned down for import. The door is still open and we might be able to get some legally. Gauteng seemed to warm up to the idea that they should be legal. Just hold thumbs.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Shadfish1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:14 pm

I think what you are referring to is the Alien & Invasive Species Regulations, promulgated in terms of NEMBA They have however not yet been given a commencement date so at this stage are not inforce, that can however change as soon as a commencement date is decided on
Shadfish1
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping