Enclosure for young Ball Python, CPT

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Enclosure for young Ball Python, CPT

Postby shaun37 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi guys, first time posting and future snake owner here :-)

I'm on the verge of getting my first snake, a female Ball Python ~8 weeks old, but what's been holding up my plans is my complete inability to get an suitable enclosure sorted out. I'm on the verge of borrowing a 90x40x45 from a friend as a place-holder until I can organise a smaller one.. but finding a smaller more appropriate one, fully kitted, seems rather difficult here in CPT :-?

I'm pretty much set on using a tub to start, at least until she grows large enough to live comfortably in an adult enclosure.. but the pressure of finding a quality one and all the additional components and assembling the thing properly (with nothing hazardous to the snake) has put me off, especially being a first-timer--> and I like the idea of my first snake getting through its youth without any issues caused by a crappy enclosure I built ;-)

So to actually ask the question: Are there any Ball Python experts/handy-man guys based in CPT, maybe even Southern Suburbs if possible, who could help me out?

Thanks in advance!
shaun37
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Enclosure for young Ball Python, CPT

Postby AKovarsky » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm not to sure if you have it sorted out now but if you don't I would be willing to help out. I would use those addis 28l clear storage boxes, 9w foil heat pad, a hide, a waterbowl and a thermostat.
Once you have those drill holes in the box and one small one on the side for the heat pad wire but making sure to wear them down so they are not sharp. Use whatever substrate you plan on using and your pretty much ready to go.

This is the set up I use. It's cheap and effective.
AKovarsky
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Just be aware that WC has minimum cage requirements so be ready to show them the cage even if the snake will be living in a tub inside that cage at this stage. Putting such a small snake in a big cage will stress it out and it will probably stop feeding and die. Use a tub as suggested above until the snake is close to adulthood.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby shaun37 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:45 pm

AKovarsky wrote:I'm not to sure if you have it sorted out now but if you don't I would be willing to help out. I would use those addis 28l clear storage boxes, 9w foil heat pad, a hide, a waterbowl and a thermostat.
Once you have those drill holes in the box and one small one on the side for the heat pad wire but making sure to wear them down so they are not sharp. Use whatever substrate you plan on using and your pretty much ready to go.

This is the set up I use. It's cheap and effective.

I haven't, so yes, sounds like a plan! :D

But then the issue comes, at the moment I'm working 9-6 and get home after 7 with more work to be done, so getting those components will be a bit tough on my side--> what's your labor fee? :P

Was thinking of a wack of paper towel in the beginning then getting some astro-turf cut by reptilecity.
shaun37
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shaun37 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Bushviper wrote:Just be aware that WC has minimum cage requirements so be ready to show them the cage even if the snake will be living in a tub inside that cage at this stage. Putting such a small snake in a big cage will stress it out and it will probably stop feeding and die. Use a tub as suggested above until the snake is close to adulthood.

First point already sorted, the second is the very reason I'm so desperately trying to get the smaller enclosure organised. Want her to be as care-free and safe as possible :)
shaun37
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AKovarsky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 am

So firstly I will happily do it for free.

I recommend that you order those things on reptile city. The tub I could get for you and then you pay me back. It's pretty straightforward and hassle free. I to recommend that you get one night shipping though.
You can leave out the hide because you can just use cut plastic ice cream box or something similar.
Please PM me so that we can organize something. Do you work on weekends?
AKovarsky
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shaun37 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks man, that's awesome!

They have quite a few options, but some stand out to me:

http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/pr ... ads-cables or http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/pr ... ads-cables

But I'm a little lost with the thermostats: http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/in ... hermostats

^^Need one perfect for the tub and future larger enclosure.

Then for the water bowl, this seems perfect: http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/pr ... owls-water

I'm sure I am off this weekend, but if not I can just make a plan to drop the parts off with you and come back at a later stage?
shaun37
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AKovarsky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Here is the thermostat you will want.http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/pr ... hermostats ,It will work for any size tank so when you put it in the larger tank you can use the same one.
http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/pr ... ads-cables , thats the heating pad you want. I live in Higgovale so if you can drop it of it will be great. If not we can try to sort something out this weekend.

The water bowl is fine but the size does not matter, BPs generally don't soak. If it fits the cage then it's fine.
AKovarsky
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shaun37 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 pm

Great, thanks.

Would it be possible to hook up a hygrometer as well? The humidity where I live varies widely between 50% and 80% and it's tough to monitor.

Thinking of this oke: http://www.reptilecity.co.za/catalog/pr ... hygrometer
shaun37
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shaun37 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Alright, ordered the stuff..one step closer! :D
shaun37
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping