Quick Question.

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Quick Question.

Postby Primogen » Thu May 29, 2014 2:57 pm

I currently need to probe sex a snake, the problem is this snake is very against any handling of any sort even touching the snake with a hook makes it go ballistic.

I have plenty practice and have done it many times so the probing itself is easy, but its been on rather docile snakes and I had a helper.
This is more a question of restraining a very uncooperative snake long enough for me to work with it.

So are there any tips or tricks that can help me do this preferably alone as getting someone to help me has not gone so well.
The snake in question is a 1,8m Ridleys that has a rather evil disposition towards me.

Any help will be appreciated.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Quick Question.

Postby Westley Price » Thu May 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Tubing works quite well, even on non-venomous snakes. That way you only have the tail part to restrain instead of the entire snake.

If you sit down, the tube and front 80% of the snake can rest on your lap, which you using one hand to restrain the tail and the other to hold the probe.

But I understand it could be tricky with a 1.3m snake. You're gonna need a mighty long tube.

Good luck.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Primogen » Thu May 29, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks Westley, Worked like a charm, except the tube(used a long PVC pipe) was a bit too wide so I earned a few new bites.
But now I have a nice big female to add to my collection.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri May 30, 2014 8:14 am

Great stuff.

Many keepers underestimate the value of a decent set of tubes for any collection, regardless of being venomous or non-venomous.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Primogen » Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 am

Yip will definitely get a decent set, they are rather useful .
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping