Help and Advice needed please.

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Help and Advice needed please.

Postby Tars » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I need some advice on arboreal setups for snakes, the cage itself is no problem, what I would like to know.

What is the best lights to get for plant growth and heating (there is so many different brands out there), where do you buy the lights and fittings, I would prefer the light fittings on the outside on top of the setup in order to avoid burns and keep the lights from blowing due to the high humidity, I think this would work best with a mesh canopy?

Best substrate to keep humidity high (I wash thinking forest mulch?)

Best plants to use that is obviously not harmless to the snake?

What sort of hygrometers/thermometers do you use and find to work best for heating purposes, where can I find these items?

Do you use only heating lights or heatpads as well, what sort of timers do you use for your lights and where can I buy decent items?

I am based in the Centurion/Pretoria area.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get as much info as possible. I have had snakes for about 11 years now but this will be my first arboreals, I am super excited and cant wait for them to come, it is 2 hatchling ATB's.

I will be keeping them in a smaller plastic tub at first until they are a bit bigger before moving them to the enclosure, would just like to get everything going so long.

All input and advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Help and Advice needed please.

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi and welcome here.

I have never been lucky with live plants. There are a few people on the forum who have posted some cages where they do have live plants. Use the search function at the top of the page to see how they did it.

Hatchling ATBs will prefer a small cage with a branch to perch on until they are a bit older. This might be a year or more. It is also easier to keep them warm and humid in a small tub as you have decided on.

If you are going to be using exoterra type cages then dont worry about the lights. Normal energy saver globes resting on top of the mesh will be fine. Lights inside a cage are a bigger problem. Snakes dont really care about lighting. You can use ordinary timer switches available at Builders or any other supply store.

It is possible to buy advanced systems where the lights and heat are on their own cycles however for ATBs this might be overkill.

A forest mulch substrate will be fine for them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Tars » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:14 am

Thanks for the input BV, I will search for those topics and see what I can find.
Tars
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 am

Hi there.

For exoterra cages they usually have a light box that you can buy which is fitted with a uvb tube and another fitting for a normal srew in or bayonet bulb. You could always build your own wooden box that sits on top of the cage above the mesh. I have seen that various bromeliads are used in reptile enclosures but I don't think they will provide the horizontal perches you will want for ATB's.. Anyways good luck!:)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping