Poll on snake hides

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Hide or no hide?

Hide
92%
No hide
No votes
Other
8%

Total votes : 24

Poll on snake hides

Postby Dazed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:08 am

Hi all.

So I have been doing a lot of research lately and I see that people that has all kind of different opinions on this. What I want to know is do you guys use hides or not for your snakes?

I have heard arguments ranging from they feel secure with a hide in their enclosure. To stuff like they get more used to movements etc when not having one. If you do have an opinion on the matter please vote or comment. I really am curious as to what is best and why.

Thanks
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Poll on snake hides

Postby Dazed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 am

lol okay I am guessing according to this so far everyone agrees with me on having one. But is there any truth to the opinions of not having one in the enclosure because of them getting used to you faster since they can see more movement etc?
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rox6or » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

I believe it depends on the snake, not the species, the actual animal, as iv'e seen how different my snakes can be. Some of them like to hide and others do not like to hide as much. If I can take my corns as a simple example. I have some that are hiding constantly and others that are out and about, almost never going close to the hide or lying on top of it and it doesn't matter whether they have just eaten or not. All of my heatpad and other heat sources are regulated with thermostats so temperatures are not to play a part as well(trust me I measured and checked and re-measured to see if this is the case). Something that I do think is interesting to mention is that generally the one's that are out all the time are also the one's that don't mind being handled at all. The one's that hide normally take some time when taking out of the enclosure to calm down a bit(a minute or so of being a bit squirmy). This however is just my humble opinion and I know that everyone has their own opinion as this is quite a interesting topic.
Rox6or
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dazed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 am

That's exactly what I am wondering about. I remember with my corn that I had for a long time he would hide permanently and it was always a struggle to get him out. but as soon as he was in my hands he would be as happy as can be. The reason I am asking is I am hearing these opinions from people but I can't make an informed response since I've never owned a snake that was outside his hide permanently and having only one kinda limits you to know about all the differences in personalities. I am going to the expo in October and want to get myself a ball python and I want to know these things before going into it again :P
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rox6or » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:57 am

Well with my experiences with ball Pythons and the knowledge that I have on them is that with them a hide or preferably at least two are definitely a must. They are a lot more secretive than corn snakes and are a lot less forgiving with enclosure problems. They will sometimes stop feeding when they don't feel secure. They are wonderful snakes though, you will love them from day one.
Rox6or
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rox6or » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 am

Please don't misunderstand my first post, I'm not saying do not put a hide in the enclosure, as I have hides in all of mine, I'm just saying that some of them don't use them as often as others and that leads me to believe that your snake's personality determines the use of a hide.
Rox6or
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dazed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 am

I was planning on doing it the same as with my corn anyway :) 2 hides. one on cool side and one in warm side. Just hope he is more happy to see me when I take him out lol. As far as I can see they bite quite a bit harder than corns
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rox6or » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 am

They do, but biting is not really something to worry about with them, treat them with respect as with all snakes and frequent handling make them probably one of the best pet snakes in the industry. Iv'e taken a bite or two from both juveniles and adults and they are really not too bad, but ball pythons aren't bad tempered at all.
Rox6or
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dazed » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 am

Awesome man thanks for the info :)
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rox6or » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:43 am

Any time. Hope it helped.
Rox6or
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am

It depends on the species to an extent, as this dictates certain behaviours.
For example, arboreal species in my experience don't need a traditional hide, they will take cover among the leaves and often just perch out in the open.

It certainly does come down to the specific animal. Within a species, some might prefer being in the open, others will hide most of the time.

So the best would be to provide one, in the event the snake wants to use it, it's there.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi guys.I feel that hides are super important for snakes.Breeding indigenous snakes is so much easier if they have good hiding places.Also a hide can be used as a trap box for venomous and difficult species-like molesnakes.
Not having a place to hide is mega stressfull for most snakes-I only have one spitting cobra who does not spend most of his time in the hide box and then he ducks in there when I try to catch him.
In the wild they probably spend 99% of the time in a safe spot.Even arboreal Green mambas and Boomslangs prefer a hide when bad weather comes-in captivity it is easier to handle them in a box for cage cleaning etc.
Cobras dont rub noses as much when a hide is available!
Use them! :smt016
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:35 pm

I have boomslang that use hides on the ground (only the female though) and gaboons that like a hide and then other snakes like coral snakes dont bother with theirs. It depends on the individual. I like to put hides in for almost all the snakes. I use hide box /water bowl combinations in most of the cages so its not anything extra. Snakes with hides are also less inclined to tip water bowls and burrow under the newspaper. Some (like retics and certain elapids ) can become more defensive so always bear in mind that is their "secret hiding place" and trying to get them out can elicit a defensive strike.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Dazed » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:49 pm

That's one of the reasons I asked. My previous corn was in his hide a lot and it was extremely hard to get him out of it without him becoming defensive. But was always chill when he is out.
Newby...
Dazed
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping