If we had a say in animal keeping legislation...

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

If we had a say in animal keeping legislation...

Postby Sean » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:10 pm

If we had a say in animal keeping legislation, what would you like to see happen or change?

Here are a few from me.

1. No venomous or dangerous animal may be kept by or sold to a person under the age of 18.
2. Import and export laws to be simplified whilst still maintaining quarantiene times and extended laws concerning wc
3. You tell me.
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Dead_puppy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:24 pm

-Capturing allowed.
-Sale prohibited in all provinces
-Keeping permits easier to obtain. Eg> Buy them from repti shops.
-Controlled standards to reptile enlosure eg. UVB, heat,size. Just so you can charge someone with a krappy cage
A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with herps is better.
Dead_puppy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:12 pm

This is an idea given to me by BV a while ago.
For indigenous, a decent permit system that accounts for and controls capturing from the wild by means of auctioned off catching permits as per predetermined annual quota for each species. All captured species are specified on the permits with locality and sex. Conservation authoroties may call apon any permit holder to enter a re-introduction program with up to 50% babies produced if and when the necessity arises. Funds raised from the auction cover the costs of running the permit system.
In order to get all animals on the system, an interim grace period is established within which all captive animals are permitted (without fear of prosecution) and this is done preferably over a winter season to minimise opportunistic catching before system goes online.
All babies produced are permitted as an appendage to the parental permit and so-on. This way traceability is simple and it's more difficult to cheat the system.
The authoroties have the right to inspect at any given time to ensure conformity and this would only be necessary where suspicions arise which would be easy to pick up if the system is mapped properly.
Call-out catching permits are issued to authorised people only and this is added over and above the quota system as these animals are considered 'saved' from being killed. On special instances, Herp clubs may endorse call-out permits to save animals from development sites.
Anybody caught mistreating their animals may be blacklisted on the system and their permits revoked.
This system may encourage community policing where one guy who paid an honest wage for his auctioned permit will very quickly report anybody catching without permits.
The systematic killing of animals for muti, satisfaction or whatever must be curbed and a high penalty imposed for such activities.

With regards to exotic animals, I don't see the need for a permit system, except for species that are considered invasive as per scientific report and CITES I species.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:27 pm

Froot excellent idea!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sean » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:47 am

LOL excellent ideas sofar id say, should we go into deeper deatil and see exactly where this leads?

I would also add the requirement of a ven snake bite and handeling course to the above for capture permits, and a quota on the amount of permits allowed per person so as to allow more people to be able to go out and do some herping (if its on auction one rich person may end up just taking the lot)
Also i would say the capture permits should be non transferrable or it may end up like the guy selling tickets at the door to a concert.
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby froot » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 am

Well, limitations can easily be placed on who gets what. Permits can be auctioned off at 2 pairs per bid. A maximum of 10% per quota may be bought by one bidder. In a case where the quota is less than 10 pairs, then no more than 1 pair per bidder. Only South African citizens are allowed to bid, and own any permit controlled by the system. Auctioned permits cannot roll over to the following year, they expire once the year is up.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping