From USA, wanting to keep and breed an African Lizard

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

From USA, wanting to keep and breed an African Lizard

Postby passionforreptiles » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:46 am

Hi

I am from the Northern USA so keeping reptiles outside most of the year won't be possible. I really enjoy reading about African snakes and lizards and have decided I'd like to try to keep and breed an African lizard as a hobby. I'm looking for something that I will find interesting and that I have a reasonable chance of succeeding with. I love the idea of being able to raise my own lizards from egg all the way back up to producing an F2 generation and beyond!

Here are the species I am interested in, but please feel free to suggest others. I am very early in the research process.

Jones Armadillo Lizard: Cordylus jonesii
Why: Widely available and reasonably priced. Said to be reasonably hardy. Breeding information is hard to come by, though. I'd prefer sungazer of course, but those are quite expensive and far less accessible to me.
Questions: Can this species be cycled for breeding if kept indoors year round?

Fire Skink: Riopa fernandi
Why: Beautiful skink whose care is well documented. Reasonably priced.
Questions: If I can get someone to probe them, can they be sexed properly and what age must they be?

Madagascan Plated Lizard: Z. laticadatus
Why: Attractive species on the larger side it seems
Questions: Said to be difficult to breed, but easily sexed?

Open to any other suggestions you guys may have!

Thanks!
passionforreptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Re: From USA, wanting to keep and breed an African Lizard

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:01 am

Good day. Welcome to our forum. Sadly I can't be of any assistance as I've never kept any of the above mentioned species. Good luck with your project. Please at all costs keep it legal :) look forward to seeing what you decide on and ofcourse you updating us here with your progress.

Dean
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:18 am

All three of those lizards are freely available and the main reason is that they are imported often. If you really want to try and make a difference get some Smaug (Cordylus) mossambicus which are also sold as Flame bellied lizards. They will not be on the market for much longer as they are under extreme pressure due to their tiny distribution area and the ease with which they are captured.

There are a few colonies in the US and there is enough info on the breeding of this lizard.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby passionforreptiles » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:53 am

I checked on those and exports are already banned :( No new ones will come to the USA. Their future in my country is now in the hands of a few breeders who have them.
passionforreptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping