Going Frill neck lizard and green tree frog hunting!!!!!

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Postby Moreliahunter » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:17 pm

Ok here you go then. This is from a previous trip to queensland!!

Tree snake

Angle headed dragon

Green tree frog

And this one needs no introduction. The australian frill neck gets a lot bigger than the new guinea ones.

Moreliahunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:12 pm

Wow! that dragon is amazing!!! Thanks man, oh! and welcome back :).
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Neboo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:06 pm

nice pics there :cool:
"Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory"
(Albert Schweitzer)
Neboo
SA Reptiles Support

Postby Corncrazy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:32 am

Very nice pics, thanks for sharin ;)
Dayne
Corncrazy
SA Reptiles Support

Postby werner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:49 am

Awesome, you are sooooo lucky!!!! Thanks for the pics.
werner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby elapid » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:02 pm

Awesome pict. thanks for sharing
You become responsible forever for what you have tamed.
elapid
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:18 pm

Could I PLEASE have some of those frogs. Geez, they are gorgeous. Do you have a scientific name for me?

The Tree snake too please. ;)
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:58 pm

The tree snake looks like the Brown tree snake Boiga irregularis. The same species that is causing all the trouble on the island of Guam.

The tree frog looks like one of the Litoria species of which 13 in Australia are almost extinct.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Hobbes » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:09 am

Bushbaby wrote:Could I PLEASE have some of those frogs. Geez, they are gorgeous. Do you have a scientific name for me?

The Tree snake too please. ;)

The frog is clearly a Splendid Tree Frog- Litoria splendida. However it is not found in Queensland, but in Western Australia & the Northern Territory. See: http://www.drellenrudolph.com/featurean ... efrog.html However the pic seems to be of a captive frog?

Similarly, the Tree Snake is indeed Boiga irregularis- the Brown Tree Snake. This form is known as the Night Tiger and is likewise found in the Northern Territory.
Hobbes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hobbes » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:22 am

Bushviper wrote:The tree snake looks like the Brown tree snake Boiga irregularis. The same species that is causing all the trouble on the island of Guam.

True, though the ones on Guam are thought to have arrived either from the Solomon Islands or Papua New Guinea.

Bushviper wrote:The tree frog looks like one of the Litoria species of which 13 in Australia are almost extinct.

I'd be interested to know your source for this statement. According to the Action Plan for Australian Frogs (1998), there are 8 Litoria sp. listed as endangered, while 5 are listed as vulnerable. See: http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/thre ... gs/35.html According to the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, there are 6 endangered Litoria sp. and 6 that are vulnerable. No Litoria sp. are currently listed as extinct or critically endangered. See: http://www.deh.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/pub ... nted=fauna
Hobbes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Moreliahunter » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:22 am

Thats not a captive frog. I found it while we were having a braai outside. They were all over the place. Bloody pests if you ask me.
Moreliahunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:18 am

Sorry that must have been my mistake. I got it off some mail someone sent me and it must have sensationalised the research.

They definately said that without intervention the frogs would become extinct. I suppose I should not have assumed it is as bad as what they were saying.

Either way there are a couple that need to be protected from whatever is causing their decline. Whether it is the Cane toad or habitat destruction or global warming it is not going to get better without help.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Hobbes » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:44 am

Moreliahunter wrote:Thats not a captive frog. I found it while we were having a braai outside. They were all over the place. Bloody pests if you ask me.

Are you sure a) that this pic was taken in Queensland? Exactly where?
b) That it's not a captive frog? It looks like some sort of artificial pond- I can see the pipes etc.

If it was indeed a wild frog and found in Queensland then it is either a new population of the Magnificent Treefrog about 2000km from any other population, or it's not a Magnificent Treefrog, but a very unusual Whites Treefrog, Litoria caerula.
Hobbes
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Moreliahunter » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:43 am

Yes argue with me, I just live here. It is in the back yard of my father in laws garden in Harvey bay, queensland, Australia. To narrow it down for you. It is lottoria caerulla. Normal green tree frog. Not splendida.
Moreliahunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:33 am

Hi Hobbes and welcome to Sareps. Thanks for the contribution to this topic. Could I ask you to introduce yourself in our introductions forum and tell us more about yourself. Please.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Reptile Keeping