First Snake

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

First Snake

Postby PrinceVlad » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi Guys

I have been doing research for the past three weeks or so on which is the best snake for a first time owner.

It seems that the general consensus is that it is either a Ball Python or a Corn Snake.

I personally like the Ball Python more, but I have read that they can be difficult when it comes to feeding. From what I read it appears that Corns are easier to keep husbandry wise.

What would you guys suggest is the ideal beginner snake taking into account that my 9 year old daughter will also handle the snake.

Thanks
PrinceVlad
SA Reptiles Member

Re: First Snake

Postby Mitton » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes are great beginner snakes but they are very different.
Ball Pythons can be a bit more difficult to keep as they sometimes go on a feeding strike and for a new keeper this can be a bit stressful.
Corn Snakes are very easy.
Both come is various color morphs so many to choose from.

I think if you do your homework and buy from a reputable breeder then either will be fine for you and your daughter. Read up a bit more and see if a colubrid or python is more what you like, as I said they are very different from each other when it comes to size and how active they are.

Ask as many question as you might have here and use the search function at he top right.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby PrinceVlad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks for the advice.

Like I said I personally like the ball python, the only negatives appear to be the feeding that sometimes seem to be a problem. It seems that a positive of the corn is that it is a more "outgoing" snake.

Which is better to house the snake in, a tank or a rack system? Ive heard that young ball pythons don't do well in larger enclosures, so I was thinking of building a rack system which then has space for future snakes.
PrinceVlad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:09 am

Hi There

I reckon dont limit your self by what is considered a "good beginner" snake.

Many King snake species are very calm and extremely hardy and forgiving, so they also make great starters. Even Milks make good starters.

I might be stepping on some toes here, but I find Balls dont have too much of a personality. Carpets have much more personality. They can be feisty to start off with, but calm down nicely. Especially if you get a yearling or older.

Snakes dont do too well is typical fish tanks, but wooden enclosures with a sliding glass front work well. Especially in you just have one snake or a very small group. Racks are widely used mostly for saving space.

If you might grow your collection, I suggest start with a rack, but if you want a nice display and something more visually appealing, go for a wooden enclosure.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:23 am

Westley is right, there are MANY different options out there. And yes, baby snakes of any species can bite, Corns and Balls included.
I always say for a first snake go for a cage where you can view the snake from the outside and enjoy it more.

For you reference, if you can wait a while:
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby PrinceVlad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks guys.

I see there is an expo during March as well. What is the difference between the two?

I've read up a bit on the carpet pythons and they seem great. Where will you find them in SA? Westley, do you suggest that you go for a yearling and not a hatchling?

With regard to the enclosure I was thinking of building a rack system and my second option was to build a wood enclosure with a glass front. The plan was to build them the same size so that you can stack them.

Say I build an enclosure of 1200mmx600mmx600mm, can a yearling carpet python be housed in there or is that too big? The reason I am asking is that I don't want to build one and build another a year down the line. Also, will you be able to house a corn or king in that size from a young age? My thinking is maybe get a carpet python for me and a corn for my daughter. :D
PrinceVlad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Mitton has a great selection of Carpets and I think some yearlings for sale too, so send him a PM.

Yeah, yearlings settle down nicely. Getting hatchlings to feed can be a little bit tricky too sometimes, but a yearling will feed like a monster!

Perhaps Mitton can better advise you regarding enclosure sizes for Carpets, but that size is fine for Corns and Kings, from hatchling to adult. I know many people say snakes stress in big cages, but that is only if not enough hiding spots are provided. You just shouldnt have a huge cage with one little hide in the corner. The snakes will feel exposed.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to General Reptile Keeping