Please help identify the snake!

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Please help identify the snake!

Postby Fantasy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:46 pm

I just spoke to my mother on the phone and she said that the workers on there farm have killed two snakes today :( They are brown on the top and yellow on the bottow and apparantly rise up. They live in Randfontein on the West Rand. There is also another snake which the workers are toooo scared :D to hunt down. Sorry I cant help with more details but that is all that i was given. Thanks
Fantasy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:09 am

The chances are 90 percent that it is a Snouted cobra aka Egyptian cobra. They are pretty scared of people and will get out of the way if given a chance to escape.

Tell the workers to leave the snakes alone and they will go away. If not I might just go kick their asses.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:24 am

Where is the farm? If it's not too far a few of us can get together and come herping, and relocate the beasties. We just need your mom's written permission.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Fantasy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:46 am

I'm sure my mom will be more than willing to give you written permission. The farm is in Randfontein, just otherside Krugersdorp. They know there is one by the old chicken avaries. My mom will give me a later on and then I'll tell you what she says.
Fantasy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:51 am

Great! keep us posted.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Fantasy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:55 am

My mom said it shouldn't be a problem but she'll just check with my dad to make sure that he doesn't have any problem. But my mom said that she cant say that it's definately worth coming out to catch cause she said that she'll feel bad if you guys come all the way out there and you either find nothing or it's a common snake. But I'll let you all know tonight or latest tomorrow morning.
Fantasy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:06 pm

Kewl, would still be a nice outting.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Fantasy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:51 am

You have all got the go ahead to go herping on my parents farm. Just let me know when you want to go so that i can make sure that there's someone to let you in and to give you the permission letter. My mom said just keep the snakes away from her. :D :twisted: But most of you have had the experience of going somewhere and finding it's not the snake that the people thought it was. But if you are willing to take the chance anyway you are now more than welcome.
Fantasy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:45 am

They find any more snakes on your farm Fantasy?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Fantasy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:27 pm

Yes they have found more and my dad told the workers not to kill them!
Fantasy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:18 pm

Excellent! Well done ;)
froot
Founder Member

Postby Anco » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:25 am

We should definately make a plan to come out there. We don't care if it's a common snake or not or if we find something or not. We have driven like 700km before and only found 2 snakes (VERY COMMON ONES...lol)

So what do you say guys ? Should we plan a trip ?
Life can like to be lekker
Anco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:27 am

If you guys don't mind I would like to tag along as well, just for the company and experience. Just let me know when and where.
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Anco » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:40 am

No worries hammies. We often have these little field trips and we also OFTEN braai and have a bit of a kuier. You are always welcome to attend any one of those
Life can like to be lekker
Anco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:36 am

This weekend?
froot
Founder Member

Next

Return to General Reptile Keeping