Warning about plastic tubs

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Postby SarkkaS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:38 pm

A "sticky" topic stays on top in the topic listing. It's generally good to have certain topics permanently up there, like rules, FAQs, etc.

-Sale
Sauli Särkkä
SarkkaS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alan Hyde » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:39 pm

Another one to add to the list is a warning about feeding those snakes that will take during slough.
Many years ago I fed my large 18.5 ft burm just before she sloughed. As the skin rolled down it built up on the food lump and constricted causing loss of circulation. Luckily I was there and I cut the rolled up skin with scissors releasing the pressure
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gabi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:43 pm

Trayton, you ever get glue or silicone all over your hands and tried getting it off? Pretty difficult lol it's pretty much the same on the forum
A post being made sticky will put it at the top of the forum and make it stick there so that it doesn't get lost in the thousand of new posts. Pretty much like an announcement.
Why it's made sticky is because it contains important and useful information. So that people can see it and read it.

Hope all my info on what a sticky thread is was correct :oops:
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Trayton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks guys,might of sounded like a newb question but now i know.
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:49 pm

Trayton if you dont know and you dont ask you will stay a newb even after years on the forum.

Thanks Gabi you explain so well.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Gabi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:15 am

Bushviper wrote:Thanks Gabi you explain so well.

Thanks BV :lol: It's pretty difficult to explain things when I can't use my hands though.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: Warning about plastic tubs

Postby Boadicea » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:13 pm

I have had baby snakes get stuck on the underside of those foil heat pads that are supposed to be able to be stuck down and stay down. Mostly I have found them and managed to get them off the sticky part before anything serious happened. However I always check the ones in my baby snakes' cages a number of times even after I have set them up since I lost a baby dumeril that got caught on the heat pad and burned to death. This was despite the fact that I had glued the damn thing to the backwall of the tank rather than the floor hoping to prevent just this from happening. The baby tried to climb up the edge of the heatpad for some reason and managed to lift up a small edge just enough to kill himself. I was besides myself. :smt010
I had a plastic heatpad (one of those black jobs) set alight in the baby iguanas' tank. Fortunately the newspaper did not set alight. It just burned a hole in the newspaper. The heat pad itself melted.I do not know why. It had been fine for months and just one day decided enough was enough. Now I view all heatpads as a necessary evil. Fortunately my two little girls survived. I have heard similar stories about these heat pads from other people.
Heat lamps dont work too well either. The bulb was secured to the mesh on the top of the tank with two long screws and those plastic plugs you use to put screws into walls but somehow it came down anyway and dropped onto the moss at the bottom of my water dragon's tank. It dried the moss out and the moss then proceeded to smoulder in that spot. It also melted the nearby false rock foam backing that these cages come with. I came home to find my child ill from smoke inhalation and plastics poisoning. He died about a week later despite all my efforts to save him. I felt so terrible. :smt010
It is just so difficult to anticipate everything that can go wrong when keeping reptiles. I sometimes feel like I need six brains just to anticipate all the problems that could occur.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to General Reptile Keeping