Baby Gargoyles

Baby Gargoyles

Postby Bjorn » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Well after a few failures finally got it right. My first breeding of these guys. I really needed this as I have had a bad run lately.

It is fairly common that you don't get good eggs from these geckos when they first start breeding. I had some infertile and then some babies that couldn't get out the eggs. I cut my last two eggs to find fully formed grey and pink babies dead. I have found the same with my Crested geckos. They are starting to make some super nice eggs. The eggs tend to double in size so that's when you know they are good.

These guys where in since 30th of May at 23 deg c so that's 97 days. A bit long I would think as 50-60 is what's average. Maybe I made a mistake with the date? I have also read that lower temps might produce more females so we will see. Once I saw the first baby I cut the second egg so that the other wouldn't drown. The eggs were a lot softer than the previous ones.

Here they are.

eggs
Striped form
reticulated form

Got them in their new homes and just hope they do well. They were very lively when placed in their tubs. These are such nice geckos to keep and easy to breed once the duds are out the way. I am definatly keeping these back!
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Baby Gargoyles

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Congrats, shame about the others, they look so cute!
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Adorable! Congrats and best of luck with getting a steady supply of these little stunners onto the SA market :)
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Big well done Bjorn, those are some cute babies.
Hopefully the Cresties can be bred soon, we will try with the ones we got from you early next year.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby QtCreaCha » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 pm

AAhhh, that's so stunning Bjorn, just too cute for words! Well done!
QtCreaCha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:01 am

Nice going. I have been told they are easy to breed once they get started so dont change anything. Not the diet, not the cage, not the incubator.

Now you can brag you were one of the first in SA do do this.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bjorn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks guys.

BV, I am not to sure I am the first but maybe among the few. Not really sure. Anyone know of other people breeding them?

I find it strange that all care sheets say don't let them get to warm as they stress and die. I thought I was going to loose some during quarantine but only lost one baby that fell into his food and couldn't get clean. Poor thing. My adults bask at 32 deg c often and can escape to the low 20's. The babies are that this time on their hot spots. I believe give them the opportunity.

I have a basic set up besides the cage I guess and they do well. These geckos as well as the cresteds are so easy to care for and easy to breed. Not sure why we not seeing more as I imported about 60. Some guys have more females than me but no eggs yet.

Mittone, yours will be ready now. They produce all year round. My female that has laid 8 eggs was the smallest baby I had. She was a brown but now a pretty red. I find they do way better with some heating and grow faster. Cresteds can breed after a year and gargoyles at about two. The only reason I put mine together a bit early is because she laid some dud eggs so figuerd she was ready. Can't believe she let him in as when they were young he ate her tail. LOL she has grown a nice one back though.

I really want ti import some more of these but there are more important things on the table at this time.

Hopefully I will have some Cresteds hatching soon.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Congrats Bjorn! I havn't heard of any others bred locally.
How easy is it to tell if the female is gravid?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Well done. They look gorgeous! How big do they get? They have caught my eye and I must admit I am thinking of taking a few on, but need to do more homework though. Congrats!
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks!

It's not easy to tell but they dig test holes when they are close. Once they start laying you can find them every month plus the odd day. I check for eggs often but not really so urgent as long as they are moist they will be fine in the lay box. I have a 2L ice-cream tub full of peat for mine. They dig to the bottom so maybe dipper would be nice but they are happy to lay in there. If you have got a very well planted cage they could lay anywhere.

My male is 20cm total lenght which is a big adult.

Cresteds can be a bit larger.

Housing
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Very nice gecko bjorn, could maybe also post some pics of your cresties?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks Wolf, I will get around to it some time but not right now. Maybe when I have some luck with the cresteds which is hopefully soon.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Holding thumbs for you, arethese the only gecko species you keep/import or do you also have other geckos?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:37 pm

The caging seems simple enough. Doing some research. Found out that you can feed them bananas and apricots aswell? Interesting little guys. When are you going to be able to start selling the babys?
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 pm

I am just keeping the Cresteds, Gargoyles and Namibian Giant Grounds.

I was going to import Uroplatus sp, Day geckos, and Cat Geckos but supply was short. I also want to get R. leachianus. I just can't focus on one species of reptile as I like so many of them.

I only have the one pair of Gargoyles so I will be keeping all my babies. When I can import again I will get some more bloodlines and pair them up with mine. Imports on these geckos are very easy but importing is very expensive.

The will take most non citrus fruits peach, paw paw, banana etc. I feed baby food with crested gecko diet and also my own fruit blends. They also like crickets but thats a treat. These are very easy geckos to keep and feed. I have found the insect eaters cost me a fortune so I cut down on the Giant Grounds.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Geckos