Moving back to SA with Rhacodactylus Leachianus

Moving back to SA with Rhacodactylus Leachianus

Postby Lloydbo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:18 am

I'm moving back home from the UK and was wondering if I could bring some leachies with me.
Does anyone know what this involves with costs ect and is there a limit on how many I can bring back?

Thanks,
Lloyd
Lloydbo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Moving back to SA with Rhacodactylus Leachianus

Postby michael » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:25 pm

This is a major mission and depending on the Province in South Africa you are coming too may not even be allowed. Your geckos would need to go through the whole import procedure which is a long and complicated process. This is further complicated by bizarre interpretation of legislation and general apathy. The easiest would be to buy new geckos here or ask someone to import yours for you, this however would be costly.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Lloydbo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 am

There's not alot of info on Leachies in SA, do you know if they are illegal in Natal? Can you also recommend any good Import company's i can try.
Lloydbo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 pm

These are legal in KZN and I can help you import them if you wish. It is still worthwhile because locally you are going to pay around R7K each if you find any for sale.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Lloydbo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Thanks Bushviper, I think ill take you up on that offer.

Is that 7K for a hatchling or adult?

I was recently told by a well known pet company in SA that I need to Cite permits for them.

They sent me an email with the following below:
The following documents will be required; An export CITES permit will required from the UK, An export health certificate
We will apply for the following documents; Import CITES permit; Passport copy;3rd party authorisation; Import permit

After chatting to you I've come to realise no Cites are need, thank god for this forum :)
Lloydbo
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Geckos