CLUB TAILED IGUANA'S?

CLUB TAILED IGUANA'S?

Postby fredsmith » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 am

I went down to Outrageous pets in Edenvale over the weekend and saw something I hadn't seen on the market before... A club tailed iguana.

Now these are awesome looking critters indeed and I'm really really keen on getting one of these guys, but can't seem to find any significant info regarding them besides that they're omnivorous unlike their cousins the green iguana...
Are there any of you kind folk out there that keep them and would like to share a bit about them?
How big will it get?
What are the typical husbandry requirements?
What are the tempraments like?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Re: CLUB TAILED IGUANA'S?

Postby insaniac » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:43 am

Found this on " jackspets.com "

Hope it helps a little...

CLUB TAIL IGUANA
Ctenosaura sp.

Club tail iguanas are native to Mexico and Central America where they inhabit open forests, rocky slopes, and ruins. These heat-loving baskers are usually found in groups with a dominant male. They can be housed in groups with only one male per group.

Their strongly spined tail is used in defense.

Maximum size: 24-36”

Lighting: Full spectrum fluorescent UV bulbs and a basking light are required.

Temperature range: Day 78°- 95°F Night 62°-83°F Basking area to 100°F

Food: Iguana salad should be 95% of their diet. Crickets, mealworms, and pinkie mice coated in calcium and vitamin powder should be offered 3-4 times a week to complete their dietary requirements. Occasionally, some fruit and flowers can be offered.

Water: A container of clean water should always be available. Occasional misting will provide water droplets for drinking.

Housing/Habitat: An aquarium equipped with an under tank heating pad at one end, a calci-sand or desert substrate, landscaped to simulate their natural habitat. A rock placed under the basking light will absorb heat and provide belly heat to aid digestion. The rock should be placed so that the top spot reaches the high end of the needed basking temperature. Branches for climbing and hiding places in both the cool and the warm end of the enclosure are needed.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks Insaniac. Thats quite an easy to follow range of perameters with regard to feeding and housing.

Is there anyone out there who can attest to their temprament or typical characteristic traits? Are they docile, easily handled or they more aimed at being the animal who's more for show as a display critter?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HOUSE OF DRAGONS » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi Fs
do you have a piccie or 2 on them?
HOUSE OF DRAGONS
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Iguanas