New Iguana Terarium

New Iguana Terarium

Postby cvanvollenstee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi all, I want to share my building of a Terrarium for a iguana. I don't have one yet and I know this will keep him for only the first year or two. So I have red allot about these beautiful creatures and is still reading about their diets what they can and cannot eat. So here is some pics of constructing my first of many iguana setups. I took it with my phone so sorry about the quality.

My tools that and products I used.

I bought a exo terra 45X45X60 cage. This where I took the lid apart to hide the wires under the metal plates so it looks neat. And made some hooks for the vines in the mesh.

My heating pad I added. I put an extra 2m of wire behind the back drop for when I remove the top lid so that there is some wire to go the length without me to disconnect the wire the whole time.

This is my backdrop I bought for the cage and the beer I drank while building this hehehehe.
I had to cut it even if the size was 45X60 I could not get that bugger in there with its current size.

This is where I added the UV light fittings to the cage top. I uses mini screws and bolts to tighten it.

This you can see how the screws and bolts look like.

In this photo I tightened the uv electrical box to the lid the same way.

This is what I used to connect the wires and manage the power flow.

Here I have the backdrop and astro turf in along with the heating pad and my first switch.

They came to help me hehehehe.

Here I added the switch to turn the heating pad on or off

This is a frontal view when the lid was on.

A top view when I was testing the two switches.

When I added the plug.

This is when I added the infra red and its switch.

Another angle

It is done I will later build myself some timers for each switch but for now it will work.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures of me building this enclosure. And hope fully it will help someone in the future.
I can get excellent conditioned iguana juvies for R900 at animal kingdom atterbury. If someone can beat that price I will be interested, PM if you are in the Pretoria area.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New Iguana Terarium

Postby MISA » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Looking good brother, I love the "helpers" getting in on the action :lol:

May I ask what you meant by:
"It is done I will later build myself some timers for each switch but for now it will work."
What sort of timers will you use?
Will they be store bought or homemade?

I am curious as I havent been able to find any timers other than the normal plug in or the "swimming pool" type timers.

MISA.
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New Iguana Terarium

Postby cvanvollenstee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Yes I am looking to build my own timers because those timers is way to bulky for what I am trying to do and the sprinkler timers is 12v so you need relays for those.

And building a timer is not rocket science I must just sit and think of how I would go about doing it.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Iguanas