Taming Male Iguanas

Taming Male Iguanas

Postby cathyenslin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 am

Hi, like I said in my previous post, I have a large iguana male about 3-4 years.
I have had him since Feb. When I first got him he was supposed to be tame but becuase of being transported from PE ended up freaked out. It has taken me until now to be able to go in scratch him and be close to him. When I talk to him he still closes his eyes. If I am scratching him and lift his front paw or try to lift him he gets upset and gives me body languaege to let me know he is not happy. Then ignores me for the rest of the day. The thing is I really would like to pick him up but dont want to ruin his trust that we have built and then theres the tail and teeth that make me jumpy...
Can any one help?
cathyenslin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Taming Male Iguanas

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:40 pm

Dont pick him up. When he is ready to be picked up he will crawl over to you. Until then dont push it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Taming Male Iguanas

Postby cathyenslin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:26 pm

He lets me put my hand under his stomach and lift a tiny bit, but then I back off. He also tolerates me stroking his tail up to his legs before he swings at me. I must say that the times I have had a treat for him and he has wanted it hes come really fast up to me in his enclosure, but I am ashamed to say when he does that I back off a bit, I have a healthy respect for him and am a baby to say that I am not looking forward to being bitten by him. I had a small Iguana about 2 years age but he died a year ago of cancer, I also have a baby one, so im no stranger to them, I just havent worked with one quite so big as him.
What does it mean when he lifts his head and closes both his eyes? Am I a long way off yet from gaining his trust? When I give him his food in the morning or evening he does this, but when I am outside he comes out his box and watches what I do and then when I talk to him he pretends to ignore me... Ahh.
cathyenslin
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Iguanas