Green Iguana Abcess

Green Iguana Abcess

Postby Dylan Compton » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:23 am

Hi guys
Im not sure what to do.My adult green iguana developed an abcess on her mouth. Please can you give me advise on how to treat it or a contact to a vet that will be able to help me out.
Thanks
Dylan Compton
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Green Iguana Abcess

Postby Hegter » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:42 am

Hey man, just feed her parsley. As much as you can. It should come right
Hegter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Hegter, parsely might be good for some things... but not everything... abscesses in reptiles should be treated with caution, as they usually don't 'just go away', and the puss is usually hard and cheesy, so they don't drain easily either.

Dylan, there is a vets list on this forum, go look under reptile hospital in the board index. See if any are in your area, I personally recommend Onderstepoort as they have very competent reptile vets there, (had them help me out some tight spots with very ill rescued wild herps) all else failing send a PM to Bushviper or Bushbaby on this forum, they are wizards of reptile husbandry

Posting a pic will also help us better aid and guide you...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby immaculate geckos » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:25 pm

when I kept them at the zoo in Cape Town one of my females got an abscess that we decided to treat ourselves. using a scalpel we cut it open allong the bottom to allow it to drain and then using an syringe flushed it thoroughly with peroxide. I then flushed it once a day in the following week and it healed quickly. (we may have given baytril as well cant remember) my advice would be to go to a vet!!!!!!!!

I then noticed the cause of it was diet related. feeding fruit such as apple would get stuck on the mouth and become a breeding ground for bacteria. they are leaf eaters and I changed my diets to mainly milk thistle, chickweed, dandelions, hibiscus,cucumber and celery shoots. I would throw in rocket when I could or the odd carrot top(green bit). this was many years ago so cant remember my diet exactly. It did work wonders.
immaculate geckos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Hows the iggy? any feedback?
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Iguanas