Female Veiled Help

Female Veiled Help

Postby deraj23 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:23 am

I have a veiled chameleon whos almost 1 year old now. I now know that females will have infertile eggs. At the time when she was digging and at the bottom of the cage I didnt know about that or to have a lay bin for her. It was probubly the beggining of May maybe earlier if im remembering right. I had wood chips and saw her eat one with a cricket and thought that was why I didnt see any poo in the cage as much.(removed the substrate now tho) took her to a vet and she did something with her stomach to make her poo. I got some xrays done and the vet showed me she had eggs. The vet told me by the look of them the eggs werent hard enough and gave me a liquid calcium to give her. Does this sound right? Now that I know what she was doing before was looking for a spot to lay it doesnt seem right. Now she is still eating, eyes open, and has a strong grip and ive put a pot with moist top soil in the enclosure. I dont know how long she will hold onto the eggs. Will she look for another spot to lay again when the eggs are fully calcified? The vet told me if she doesnt lay in the next week that I should give her the shot to get her to want to lay again. Is that the only thing that will get her to lay or will she look again for a place to lay. I dont want to wait too long and have her become egg bound or need surgery.
deraj23
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Female Veiled Help

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Follow the vets advice. I hope she does still lay the eggs before he needs to intervene.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby deraj23 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Ok I just wasnt sure if she is really a reptile vet because the place deals with all kinds of animals. The first time I took her in when i didnt notice any poo in the cage she didnt even mention shes female or anything about the eggs until the xray. Should I still feed her if shes accepting food? I fed her yesterday 2 crickets and I havnt seen any poo yet. I dont wanna keep feeding her if she cant pass it?
deraj23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chamssss » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:53 pm

IF she was digging around May and eventually stopped trying then she is eggbound. The liquid calcium will help her, it should give her a boost but it doesnt really make a difference for the egg laying.
She will look fine for now but she will die eggbinding, it could happen at any moment. She will only show signs of getting weaker and going down hill a day or 2 before passing.
Now what you can do is get her into Surgery (with and experienced reptile vet) and get the eggs removed, there isnt even a 100% survival rate after this...
Or you can get the vet to inject Oxytocin which will lay the eggs...if she does then she will lay them all over the place but keep a laying bin in at all times.

I would consider the oxytocin first and see what happens.

Good luck
Chamssss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deraj23 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am

I talked to a local reptile store and they have someone that has had chameleons. He told me that she would look for a spot again to lay. The vet said they would wanna do the oxytocin on saturday if she still hasnt layed yet. Is top soil good for laying? I tried play sand and dirt mixed and i saw her go down and check it out a little but she was flicking her tounge at it not digging.I think she was eating it because there was some poo that was pretty much all sand. I switched it to a dirt based soil now but it seems kinda chunky not sure if it will hold up a tunnel. Should I switch it back to the damp sand? Does this shot work because ive read people saying if it doesnt work it can cause more problems. Could you possibly locate a herpatologist around in my area? I cant seem to find any around me I live in Daytona Beach, FL
deraj23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:54 pm

She is a very nice specimen, hope you come right with the treatment, keep us updated.

Check your date settings on your camera, it says you are still in 2007!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Chameleons