New Panther Chameleon - Need some advice

New Panther Chameleon - Need some advice

Postby Bianca » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am

Hi everyone,

I got myself a Panther on Saturday! Super excited about it! I'm at work just counting the minutes left before I can get home and look at him again!

I have been told about all the various lighting and heating etc, but I want to keep my little guy outside, where he can get natural UV. I have him in a small-ish flexarium for now, he's only 4 months old. I have already bought a 100 gallon flexi and put a beautiful ficus inside which fills most of the space already.

Is it enough for him to be outside during the day? Enough heat and UV rays? I will buy the UVB light and the heat bulb for colder days, and i'll bring him inside in winter.

Also, another thing, is that I feel it's better to keep him in the smaller enclosure for now, and move him into the bigger one when he grows a bit more, but i've been told it doesn't matter and I should put him in the bigger enclosure where he has more space to regulate his temperature etc.

What do you think?
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New Panther Chameleon - Need some advice

Postby snake kid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Well I am by no means an expert but I have 2 veileds. I keep mine in summer without any lighting but in winter I give them a heat source. I don't use UVB only natural sun, there is no problem in using UVB I just prefer the more natural way. In winter I plan on keeping them inside but in front of a window so they are not exposed to the cold whether but still get UV. I will only take them out if it is a nice warmish day.

I think bigger is better Have half the cage very dense and the other half open with a few vines running across. The reason for this is when it wants to bask it can sit on one of the vines in the open spot and when it gets to hot it can shelter under the leaves in the dense spot.

just my 2c
3.1. BCI
1.0. Burmese python
1.0. Taiwanese ratsnake
2.0. Cornsnake 1 normal 1 Butter
1.2. Brown house snake
1.1. Olive house snake
1.0. Mole snake
1.1. Rhombic egg eater
1.0. Coral snake
1.1. Red lipped herald
0.1. Cape cobra
1.1. Night adder
1.1. Puff adder
1.0. boomslang
snake kid
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New Panther Chameleon - Need some advice

Postby Bianca » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 pm

Snake Kid,

UV light isn't efficient through glass, if you're keeping your Cham inside, whether it's in front of a glass window or not, you always need to supply him with a UV bulb. 5.0 Tropical. I had some advice from another forum and just passing it on to you.

And thanks for your reply. :)
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Chameleons