PET chameleon ID

PET chameleon ID

Postby Hausenberg » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:38 pm

My brother recently bought this fine specimen in KZN. Its clearly a male. Can anyone tell me exactly which sub species of jacksons chameleon it is and are they easy to come by? Do you think this is a wild caught or captive bred? How would u distinguish between the sub species.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hausenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Re: PET chameleon ID

Postby Lillypod » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:07 pm

I can't help, but I must say he is pretty and my boyfriend will be very jealous, may I ask where your brother got him and how much he cost?
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:12 am

Looks like a Jackson's Chameleon to me.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:22 am

Sorry, I didn't read properly - ignore previous post please ^^; As to what type of chameleon he is, it's hard to tell because you'd need to provide us with more information - what size is he? Do you know how old he is? All three of the subspecies look pretty similar (to me, anyway). He's probably a juvenile Jackson's Chameleon, as I would imagine the two other types (Dwarf and Yellow Crested) aren't as common in the trade. I don't know what the differences are between the subspecies though. The dwarf version is obviously smaller, and it seems to me that mature male Jackson's Chameleons display more reds than Yellow Crested ones, which seem to be more greenish. Not sure if the latter theory is at all correct though.
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hausenberg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:39 pm

He is 10cm from snout to vent. He is about a year and a half old. Sheds regularly and eats well. He is mostly green or shades of green with shades of yellow. No distinct yellow on his body.

I've googled pics of all three sub species and I'm clueless. My brother just knows its a jacksons chameleon which is kind of obvious.
Hausenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamcode » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:35 am

From the photo it looks like Chamaeleo (Trioceros) jacksonii xantholophus. It looks a little skinny, but beautiful chameleon nonetheless. And it seems to be giving the camera the stink-eye ;)
chamcode
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Chameleons