Mangrove Monitor Lizards

Mangrove Monitor Lizards

Postby madrule2002 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:04 pm

hi i love to show you my Mangrove Monitor Lizards 2 years old and if any one can tell me how i can know the male and the female cuz i dont know how to to that :

madrule2002
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Mangrove Monitor Lizards

Postby Fooble » Wed May 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Very cool animals!

Im assuming one would sex these type of Lizards in a similar fashion to our normal monitors?
A vental photo should assist you, im sure someone on here can help you out.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Serpy » Wed May 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Very Nice, I assume they were wild caughts going by the scars around the neck. Shame.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby madrule2002 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Serpy wrote:Very Nice, I assume they were wild caughts going by the scars around the neck. Shame.

yes its wild caughts % 100
madrule2002
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed May 06, 2009 5:11 pm

How long have you had them for if they were wild caught?

Its quite tricky to sex monitors, mabey Jeff can shed some light on this but NEVER probe them to sex them!
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed May 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Quite cool to notice the yellow spots on the Swamp monitor as compared to this Hatchling Nile Monitor Varanus niloticus

Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby madrule2002 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Buck Rogers wrote:How long have you had them for if they were wild caught?

Its quite tricky to sex monitors, mabey Jeff can shed some light on this but NEVER probe them to sex them!

around 6 months and eating good mice or gold fish still alive
madrule2002
SA Reptiles Member

Postby madrule2002 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Fooble wrote:Quite cool to notice the yellow spots on the Swamp monitor as compared to this Hatchling Nile Monitor Varanus niloticus

wow man that is cool
madrule2002
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Wed May 06, 2009 6:38 pm

Iv'e put together some info regarding sexing and general usefull info, hope it helps a bit.

Provide full spectrum lighting with 5% UVB and several basking areas within the enclosure for self-regulation of temperature.
Sexing: Difficult; males tend to be larger
The Mangrove Monitor Lizard belongs to the family Varanidae, the genus Varanus and the species Indicus.
The monitor lizard is the oldest living family of lizard dating back over 45 million years.

Hard to distinguish even with adults as both sexes may share similar characteristics. Males are typically larger and longer, females are relatively smaller. Males have a purple/red, "flowery" hemipenes.
Sexing: Exact sexing especially in juveniles is difficult and can only be done with certainty by someone with veterinarian experience, by probing the cloacal vent.
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby madrule2002 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:51 pm

BEARDIE&BOX wrote:Iv'e put together some info regarding sexing and general usefull info, hope it helps a bit.

Provide full spectrum lighting with 5% UVB and several basking areas within the enclosure for self-regulation of temperature.
Sexing: Difficult; males tend to be larger
The Mangrove Monitor Lizard belongs to the family Varanidae, the genus Varanus and the species Indicus.
The monitor lizard is the oldest living family of lizard dating back over 45 million years.

Hard to distinguish even with adults as both sexes may share similar characteristics. Males are typically larger and longer, females are relatively smaller. Males have a purple/red, "flowery" hemipenes.
Sexing: Exact sexing especially in juveniles is difficult and can only be done with certainty by someone with veterinarian experience, by probing the cloacal vent.

thank you friend for the great info and i will try my best to find out sexing my lizard i did not know that The monitor lizard is the oldest living family of lizard dating back over 45 million years wow i should read more about them cuz after all this great info from your side i just know i am zero in lizard world and thats way i think i lost my caiman lizard cuz i dont read to much and the thing is nothing in arabic all the great info on line and all website in english and i dont speak english very will but i will try my best to learn more and more with big help from your side thanx very much and wish u all the best
madrule2002
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Wed May 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi Madrule,

Good luck, this is a notorious species in that they are extremely shy captives. They may not eat infront of you for many months some keepers even stating that they waited over a year before the monitors would eat infront of them.

As with other monitors my opinion is no handling at all unless absolutely neccesary. Indonesian monitors are extremely prone to stress, a tall cage with a big water pan at the bottom is required aswell as a very hot hotspot, humidity should be kept in the mid to high 70's.

Regarding sex, monitors shouldn't be probed. They muscles at the base of the tail are extremely strong and when a probe is inserted or pulled out the muscles hold onto it and this can cause the hemipenes to tear. Indonesian monitors are very sexually dimorphic with males having a very curved jawline and females having little to no curvature. Post some side on head shots and maybe we can help you a bit more but remember we can only guess. Females lay infertile eggs as with most monitor species.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed May 06, 2009 8:07 pm

I think Jeff's spot on, check the head shape and size that should help out. Reason why I asked about how long you have had them for is because they are very shy animals and easily stressed they can die very quickly. Try avoid as much contact and don't harass them and good luck! If you can get it right they can be rewarding but to be 100% honest they are not beginer monitors and you may be in over your head... Don't mean to be rude.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu May 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Awesome Madrule! Very sexy looking lizards.
Pity about those horrible marks on the neck...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)