A small monitor?

A small monitor?

Postby Ales » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:44 pm

Hey guys,i was just wondering if there are any monitors for sale in SA that are not so expensive and are smaller than bosch monitors?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Re: A small monitor?

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Ridge tailed monitors will be your best bet, they are not abundant but they are available and expect to pay up to R2200+
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 10gbooj » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Ales if i'm not mistaken dragonfire had some ackies available not too long ago. Looking at around 2k
10gbooj
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Oh i was thinking of something for under R1000.What should the price for a baby bosc monitor be?in the Joburg area.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:48 pm

About R900 or less always negotiate the price as they are not captive bred.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Who gets permission to bring them down to SA
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Buck Rogers wrote:About R900 or less always negotiate the price as they are not captive bred.

How do you know they aren't captive bred here, by now?!
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:39 pm

uncutdiamonds wrote:
Buck Rogers wrote:About R900 or less always negotiate the price as they are not captive bred.

How do you know they aren't captive bred here, by now?!

Fair Question. They are really hard to breed in captivity as I understand and with the numbers available I don't think that we are at the point where majority is captive bred. There is probably a lot of people that are busy breeding them and soon the prices should be starting to come down as captive bred babies fills the gaps in the market.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:03 pm

bubblesharp wrote:Fair Question. They are really hard to breed in captivity as I understand and with the numbers available I don't think that we are at the point where majority is captive bred.

Are they really harder to breed then i.e. Bosc monitors. I understand them, to be from the same genus. Anatomical and temperamental differences can still be big, tough.
bubblesharp wrote: There is probably a lot of people that are busy breeding them and soon the prices should be starting to come down as captive bred babies fills the gaps in the market.
I saw one today in a shop - it was however not for sale. Assistant said they will be getting in new ones.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:05 pm

uncutdiamonds wrote:
bubblesharp wrote:Fair Question. They are really hard to breed in captivity as I understand and with the numbers available I don't think that we are at the point where majority is captive bred.

Are they really harder to breed then i.e. Bosc monitors. I understand them, to be from the same genus. Anatomical and temperamental differences can still be big, tough.
bubblesharp wrote: There is probably a lot of people that are busy breeding them and soon the prices should be starting to come down as captive bred babies fills the gaps in the market.
I saw one today in a shop - it was however not for sale. Assistant said they will be getting in new ones.

I was referring to Bosc being hard to breed as the conversation returned to bosc monitors as wild caught. Not sure which one you referring to now?

If they say its CB, find out who the breeder is, chances are still that it might not be CB, obviously depending on the pet shop reputation etc.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:13 pm

bubblesharp wrote:...I was referring to Bosc being hard to breed as the conversation returned to bosc monitors as wild caught. Not sure which one you referring to now?
As far as I can see, Bosc monitors have been bred for a while. I've been offered this and also so that at shops. Price and volume indicated that it wasn't an import.

I was thinking of Goannas, australian monitors.

bubblesharp wrote: If they say its CB, find out who the breeder is, chances are still that it might not be CB, obviously depending on the pet shop reputation etc.
Not sure which species they had in the shop. From appearance and description I guess that it is spiny-tailed monitors. They aren't as common as Bosc monitors and I also don't think breeding would be that common.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:41 pm

uncutdiamonds wrote:
bubblesharp wrote:...I was referring to Bosc being hard to breed as the conversation returned to bosc monitors as wild caught. Not sure which one you referring to now?
As far as I can see, Bosc monitors have been bred for a while. I've been offered this and also so that at shops. Price and volume indicated that it wasn't an import.

I was thinking of Goannas, australian monitors.

Cool, I have only been doing research on bosc's so far as I am only getting into lizzards now. Have my first baby at home but not for breeding. I know there is a lot that is bred, but there are still a lot of WC as far as I know. Interestingly I came across some old figures on Wikipedia in 1984 around 1milion was killed for leather trade and only 900 exported for pet trade. So thinking about those numbers it would seem obvious that there would be more CB that WC, so it is possible that the info I got was very old. :oops:
And just like that you make a fool of your self!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45 pm

bubblesharp wrote:...Cool, I have only been doing research on bosc's so far as I am only getting into lizzards now. Have my first baby at home but not for breeding. I know there is a lot that is bred, but there are still a lot of WC as far as I know. Interestingly I came across some old figures on Wikipedia in 1984 around 1milion was killed for leather trade and only 900 exported for pet trade. So thinking about those numbers it would seem obvious that there would be more CB that WC, so it is possible that the info I got was very old. :oops:
And just like that you make a fool of your self!

That may have been old data. On the other hand I don't know the people that told me that well either.
Demand for monitors and products made of them, should actually stimulate breeding them.

Some of the Austalian monitors the Goannas are actually smaller then Bosc monitors, while some also get bigger.
Given that we actually do have a similar climate then Australia, breeding them here should be possible and work well.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 am

Goanna is the Aussie word for what we call a leguaan. Its just the local lingo. They are still Varanus. From the giant perenties to the tiny short tailed monitor are all goannas.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Bushviper wrote:Goanna is the Aussie word for what we call a leguaan. Its just the local lingo. They are still Varanus. From the giant perenties to the tiny short tailed monitor are all goannas.

That's how I understand it as well. The early settlers didn't know what that animal was, just that it looked similar to them like iguana - slang made goanna from that. All species I found were from the genus varanus. The ridge tailed monitors from Australia are quite cute.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)