Is there a good beginner Monitor?

Is there a good beginner Monitor?

Postby chamoflage » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:06 am

Hi there.

As some of you know I'm a bit of a newbie to the world of reptiles (did some very basic reptile keeping as a kid, but nothing on the kinda scale or quality-sad to say I was that ignorant kid :oops:- that you guys do.)

I've started off with leopard geckos and have everything set up for when i can get a couple, but I'm already thinking ahead to my next Lizard. I Know Panther Chameleons are a definite because I absolutely love Chameleons and the Panthers really appeal to me, but I'm thinking I may like something a little more interesting as well. Something like a monitor perhaps?

I've done a bit of reading and it seems the Ridge tail monitors may be the best to start off with due to their disposition and relatively small size. But what are their habitat requirements? Is there any species specific information that I'll need to keep in mind when raising and keeping these guys?

Or, are there other species better suited to a beginner?

Any information would be very welcome.

Many Thanks
Barry :smt006
The sky has many holes
These holes are very small
That is why rain is so thin
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Is there a good beginner Monitor?

Postby crazyerick » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm also keen to know more. I have a Beardie for 3 years now and the monitors do look impressive.
crazyerick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Barry something small like Ridge tail (Ackies) are awesome awesome monitors.
Unfortunately they are pricey infact i prefer them over bosch's anyday.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sico » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 am

Barry, I have a large Bosc and I have to say he is pretty easy to manage generally. They will eat just about anything, and lots of it, often, aren't too fussy about temps and humidity, and they aren't bad price-wise either. I'd go far as large a one as you can afford (I've seen some big ones for sale for the same price as little ones), as it's a bit easier feeding them whole mice/rats. Mine eats about 2 small-medium rats a week, along with chicken, liver, eggs, any insect I can grab for him, freshwater crabs and so on. They do need a large cage to get around in as they are extremely active when warm, and are very inquisitive by nature. Great animals to have in the house though if you have the time to sit and watch them.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamoflage » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks guys. looking at maybe a 4-5ft enclosure for a small monitor ( think I'm going Ackie), and all the paraphenalia involved. should be set up in 2 or 3 months hopefully. fingers crossed :D
The sky has many holes
These holes are very small
That is why rain is so thin
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:05 pm

chamoflage wrote:Thanks guys. looking at maybe a 4-5ft enclosure for a small monitor ( think I'm going Ackie), and all the paraphenalia involved. should be set up in 2 or 3 months hopefully. fingers crossed :D

Ackie is an Australian one, a goann, right?
Is there anyone breeding them in South Africa?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Excuse me I meant goanna . Apparently there are several species, little ones and big ones.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)