How are monitors?

How are monitors?

Postby Acidity » Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 pm

how are they as pets? Is it possible in any way to have it live around the house? Or does it need an enclosure outside?
Acidity
SA Reptiles Member

Re: How are monitors?

Postby Dr Dill » Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 pm

It realy depends witch monitors you are talking about because they range from 30cm to over 2 meters your best choice would probably be either a ridge tail or a bosc monitor because they not to big and tame very well :D
Dr Dill
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Wed May 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Sorry Acid, the wanted Curly and Dragon is not legal in the Cape. Not on permit either.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Acidity » Thu May 24, 2012 12:46 pm

it_bit_me wrote:Sorry Acid, the wanted Curly and Dragon is not legal in the Cape. Not on permit either.

First of all, thanks for your politeness (and not using the :smt018 emoticon).
Second of all, I am not interested in keeping a Beardie.
Third of all, FFFFUUUUUUUUU. I really wanted the Curly. Even if it was legal, I bet it'd require a permit.

By the way, what is the point of a permit system for exotic animals?
Acidity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm

It's for the animals best interest, many say "I want, I want" and do not know what they are getting into. Monkeys need protection from bored housewives and beardies need protection from kids dumping them in the veld. If you were like me you would like all permits scratched -cause you live in a small world were everyone is sane and only people with an dedicated interest keep snakes- but this is not the case. People in general are just going through a fad when they start asking for the prettiest or meanest or "docile semi-venomous". You have seen how many snakes are for sale on Gumtree and Junkmail....
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Acidity » Thu May 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks, it_bit_me,
Very informative :)
I didn't take that into consideration.
I haven't personally kept any venomous snakes, but I'd very much like to get a Rinkhals. Ofcourse I'd give it a very decent enclosure and only ever handle it when I really have to. It's just the most beautiful animal in the world to me. I've kept three snakes before: Normal Egg-Eater, Aurora House Snake, and Taiwanese Rat Snake. I'm getting my female common boa (naming it Victoria :P) on saturday.
Have you got any advice on keeping your first venomous (in this case it will definitely be a Rinkhals)?
Acidity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Acidity wrote:Thanks, it_bit_me,
Very informative :)
I didn't take that into consideration.
I haven't personally kept any venomous snakes, but I'd very much like to get a Rinkhals. Ofcourse I'd give it a very decent enclosure and only ever handle it when I really have to. It's just the most beautiful animal in the world to me. I've kept three snakes before: Normal Egg-Eater, Aurora House Snake, and Taiwanese Rat Snake. I'm getting my female common boa (naming it Victoria :P) on saturday.
Have you got any advice on keeping your first venomous (in this case it will definitely be a Rinkhals)?

Do you have permits sorted for Victoria?

And there is no such thing as a beginner hot! This has been discussed hundreds of times! Use the search function!

Dont be lazy
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)