Info on ridge-tailed monitors (Ackie monitors)

Info on ridge-tailed monitors (Ackie monitors)

Postby Hyp3r » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum as a member but have been visiting the site regularly over the past few years for informational purposes and this is my first time interacting on the forum.

I have been a reptile keeper and enthusiast for 17 years now and have kept a variety of different reptiles including lizards. I feel that I am now ready for something a bit more advanced and about a year ago I fell in love with Ackie monitors. I wish to get one but I need some information regarding this topic. I am based in Gauteng so as far as I know, I shouldn't require a permit for this species. I have a bunch of questions and have stated them below...

First of all, where are all the breeders of this species? I have scoured the internet for local breeders in South Africa and have even checked this website in particular but most of the links and sources are either out dated or don't work at all. Where can a person find this species locally?

Secondly, Do I require a permit for this species? As far as I know I do not need a permit for this species in Gauteng but please, correct me if I am wrong here.

Lastly, I am actually building up a custom enclosure for this species and I've done an incredible amount of research on the husbandry of this specific species, but I am always open to learning new things and hearing from the people who actually keep this species themselves. I know this species originated in Australia and a common misconception is that they need a desert-like environment when actually that is not true and they need a hot but humid environment. Are there any concerns or important tips you may know about keeping this specific species in Gauteng and it's cold interior climate? Any specific do's and don'ts that I should be aware of when keeping this species in this particular part of South Africa? Any information is appreciated.

I am not looking to buy immediately but I really need info on who to contact when I am ready to buy. Please help.

Thanks =)
Hyp3r
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Info on ridge-tailed monitors (Ackie monitors)

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:00 am

They used to be bred by some guys in KZN. I remember Tyrone Lundy did but he is out of the game. Contact Creatures & Critters in Botha's Hill - they may have or know who has. https://www.facebook.com/creaturescritters/

There should be a myriad of care sheets and tips on the internet as well as Ackie forums on Facebook.

Regarding Permits, Im not sure but contact Arno Naude via http://snakebiteassist.co.za/contact-us/ - he will point you in the right direction.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Re: Info on ridge-tailed monitors (Ackie monitors)

Postby Hyp3r » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks for the info Pythonodipsas. I will contact them and see if they can help. Much appreciated.
Hyp3r
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Monitor lizards (Varanids)