Shedding question [Bosc monitor]

Shedding question [Bosc monitor]

Postby Buck Rogers » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 am

Howzit everybody

I noticed that after my Bosc sheds the shedding doesn't come off the tip of his tail and the tip of the tail has gone a different colour, chances are the tip of the tail will now fall off, but is there anyway to prevent this or is there something i can 'rub' on after he sheds (like a monitor moisturizer :lol: ) to prevent this happening in the future??
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Shedding question

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:30 pm

any advise guys??????
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Shedding question [Bosc monitor]

Postby Fooble » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:59 pm

Umm i've had snakes that didnt complete shed thing,
so i doubt would be able to offer any advise.
But usually soak them then just remove the unshedd piece.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby insaniac » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Got one that had the same problem,

Unfortunately I couldn't save the tip...

He's still a juvi of 25cm and he only lost about 1.5cm, but it still sucks !

I'd recommend the lukewarm water treatment, just to get the skin loose, then try and get it off using a rough towel. Don't pull too hard coz u don't know how far along the bloodloss could've taken it already.

Good luck dude, let us know how it turns out !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:18 pm

The best is to try remove the last piece of shedding at the tip of the tail with a toothpick or a fingernail. Every time it sloughs make sure the tail has sloughed properly too.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:28 pm

So i checked him out properly tonight after soaking him in warm water, and unfortuantly it looks like the tip is about to fall off. Unfortunate really, but since I've had him his tip has being scew.

so what now, after it falls off do i put bactroban on it to prevent an infection??
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:05 pm

LOL! That post would be perfectly suitable for a 'Doctor doctor I have a small problem' type forum.

Anyways, yes some bactroban can't do any harm although I personally have never heard of infections from tail loss, always better to be on the safe side. Just watch that his tail sheds completely in future, had this problem too with youngsters.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:19 pm

LOL
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:53 pm

The tip became dry and I soaked the bosc many times, but the tip didn't fall off, I got someone with experience to 'trim' the tip of the tail off and it has been treated with bactorban, but it looks very inflamade and RED. Tomorrow I'm taking it to Dr Bull, but does anyone have any other advice in the meantime or a similar experience??
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Normally if a piece of tissue falls off due to gangrene there is already a healed proximal (closer to the point of attachment) wound underneath. in the medical field we use this a lot on babies (umbilical cords, polydactyly) and vets use it a lot for things like castrations and tail docking, so the tail should be fine as long as it's kept clean and dry. mercurochrome might help dry it out, if you can dab some on with a cotton bud.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:37 am

That was my thinking Sico, but it seems to be 'spreading' and the tail this morning looks more inflammed and 'rare'. Definitly not gangrene, but it doesn't look good to me!
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 am

it might have an associated infection. normally in cases of constricted tissue you get a 'dry' gangrene, basically the area distal to the constriction goes all black and shrivels up and falls off, with 'wet' gangrene you get the typical oozing smelly, usually infected tissue. If thats the case then a vet consultation would be the obvious choice followed with a course of broad spectrum antibiotics. the 'pinkness' isn't too much of a worry, new healthy tissue should be nice and pink, but the inflammation is more indicative of a problem.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby necromantic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:32 pm

i have a problem my bosch is shedding along his facual n shoulder area but he will not let me bath him to help the shedding prosess due to him being slightly nervous is there any way i could help him(naturally or humanly aided).........................necromantic
necromantic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 pm

Bosc's will have a very flakey and rough shedding process, to assist their shedding needs you just need to ensure you meet your bosc's monitors housing requirements. Before I even answer the question have a read through the post new bosc's monitor from joef_conner and see if you are meeting the requirements for a healthy bosc's enviroment: substrate, heating, hides, humidity, and water.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)