My new Bosc and setup!! with pics..

My new Bosc and setup!! with pics..

Postby NyMpHoNuGGeT » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Hey everyone

Sheesh I haven't posted for a while but I thought I should share my new lil monster with you fellow herpers..

Ever since i saw these beauties I kept promising myself i would have one one day, well that day was yesterday..

Ok so I got him/her yesterday from the LPS (dono if they're sponosors so rather not say name).
They told me its about 3 months old, it's about 20cm nose to tail..
It ate three pinkies yesterday before i brought him home, only one in the tank that would eat and he has such a mellow personality, some hissing but I mean it's a baby Bosc that is what they do... Very chilled out lil guy/girl..

Ok this is the setup..
Tank: 2m x 50cm x 50cm
Lighting: 100watt Infra-red basking lamp (permanently on)
26watt exo-terra 10.0uvb compact(6am - 6pm)
Substrate: 50kg's white 1mm grain silica
Komodo Cyprus mulch(rainforest bedding)
Komodo bark mixed with ^^^^
The rest you can see yourself ;)

I placed the sand on the left side and the mixture of rainforest bedding and bark a piece about 40 cm on right, sprayed with mister to keep moist(hopefully he poops here).

I would really love you guys to comment and any advice is more then welcome, I would also like to ask if anyone has tried feeding theirs day old chickens when their Bosc is slightly older?

Bryan ;-)
And my mom keeps wondering where her kittens are going?!!
Bryan ;-)
NyMpHoNuGGeT
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My new Bosc and setup!! with pics..

Postby putridity » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:50 pm

very nice tank
great looking little guy
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll Die Today"
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Good job, here's my advice from keeping bosc's the right way and the wrong way. Replace the 10.0uvb with a 5.0UVB RIGHT AWAY!!! Next thing is throw that substrate out and replace it with a mixture of 50-50 top soil and play pen sand that is some what wet. And plenty hides for the little guy to squash himself under.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NyMpHoNuGGeT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanx will do asap
Bryan ;-)
NyMpHoNuGGeT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:30 pm

Read the post on 'new bosc's monitor' where there are some 13+ pages discussing the correct care for this species... I am still learning everyday.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NyMpHoNuGGeT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:16 pm

He is now in a 4 foot tank with playpen sand substrate and alot more hides.... he hasn't eaten pinkies since last thursday... but i think he been snacking on crickets...

Bryan
Bryan ;-)
NyMpHoNuGGeT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Awesome little guy you got there Bryan! Congrats.
As Buck has said, the thread viewtopic.php?f=122&t=14086&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=new+bosc makes for some interesting reading...
Good luck.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:48 pm

NyMpHoNuGGeT wrote:He is now in a 4 foot tank with playpen sand substrate and alot more hides.... he hasn't eaten pinkies since last thursday... but i think he been snacking on crickets...

Bryan

Cool, just mix some top soil or even soil from your garden (if there are no pesticides) and have it damp and mix that all in together and you good to go.If the glass starts to fog up very badly you know that there is too much moisture in the soil. It is finding a happy medium with these guys. Temps at the basking spot can be very high granted that they have enough hides to cool down, the more options available the better they will tell you what they want depending where they spend most of the time. For example if its too hot you will see that it will be spending most of its time hiding in a cool spot and visa versa, if its too dry they will spend time in the water bowl.

Have fun, they are the most fascinating monitors and very intelligent, they are as fast as lightning so don't let their sluggish behavior fool you. But as Fredsmith says read that post, tons of useful info to keep you busy.
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NyMpHoNuGGeT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:38 pm

Ok so this is him and his new setup ...

Hope you like(actually i don't mind if you dont like, as long as he does... :lol: )

Bryan
Bryan ;-)
NyMpHoNuGGeT
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)