The proper Bosc's monitor care guide

Re: The proper Bosc's monitor care guide

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:00 am

Okay she is definitely not ovulating but she does look a tad 'large'. Look there is nothing wrong with cutting down feeding on every 3rd or fourth day till she looses a bit of weight. Don't get me wrong she is not drastically over weight but with the Bosc's you just gotta be very careful with weight, so you can cut the feeding a bit but it is not a drastic situation.

I wish you got a clear side head shot (hint hint) so i could tell you if it is male or female.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:24 am

I would not cut down on feeding but possibly just feed other foods like locusts and snails every second meal. Give him/her more incentive to run around. Dont feed the locusts with the red wings as they are toxic and this lizard might not know that but get the locals to catch brown locusts at R1.00 a locust (big one) they can make pocket money and you can feed the monitor a more varied diet.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby cobra1988 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 am

You are a ledgend buck.Very usefull and informative.Thanx.I have been keeping reptiles for just over ten years.And i just have some thing on taming.People strugle taming there animals because they go about it wrong.You get exicited and just want to hold your new pet.Big red light.That stresses your reptile.Given time you wil get 2 a stage where you can do wat you want with them and they wil gladly interact with you.They most important thing is to make your pet see you as a place of comfort and safety.Sounds like a long prosses but it isn't. I had both my boscs eating treats of my chest and out my hands in 5days.They are both leash trained and sleep in my bed on my chest every night whyle i read or watch tv.When i go to sleep i put them in their cages.And they were both reputed for trying to remove fingers at the petshops.Taming is quick and easy,if you know you animal.I have only been bitten twice in ten years.And both were my fault,both from my boa,first bite was because i handled him on a full stomach,and the second because i picked him up to put him down closser to his rabit lunch,after handling the rabit.Thought my hand was his food.Not smart man.But those the only bites i have ever gotten from my 14 reptiles.
cobra1988
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Are these monitors easy to keep? How long do they remain below six foot length?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LEAPO GECKO » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Bosc monitor
Hi everybody I am sion and I am getting a bosc monitor fo chrismas and do not know anything about them and would like to have one and the monitor is 20cm and I need help can I put it in a 6x2x2 cage and upgrade as it gets bigger?please help me
LEAPO GECKO
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)