Bosc's eating a snake

Bosc's eating a snake

Postby froot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:43 am

Posted on behalf of zululand:

I was feeding my Bosc monitors when Johnny came in with a dead green snake that was killed by a bird of prey or a mongoose. The Bosc spotted it and went mad! Scoffed it down to about 2/3rds of the snakes body but the he was stuffed! He couldn't get any more in!

So I had to cut the rest of the snake off, a bit of a waste but the Bosc is now stuffed properly!

Cheers
Anton
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Re: Bosc's eating a snake

Postby Ales » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 am

Haha awesome.keep the rest of the snake im the freezes for him for next time feeding
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:07 am

Hmmm, that is really interesting!!!! Snakes do not make up any part of a bosc's diet at all. I tried to feed a dead centipede eater to my bosc's and it wouldn't even look at it!
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:13 am

Buck Rogers wrote:Hmmm, that is really interesting!!!! Snakes do not make up any part of a bosc's diet at all. I tried to feed a dead centipede eater to my bosc's and it wouldn't even look at it!

I saw a youtube video of a guy feeding a bunch of corn snakes to his Bosc live snakes where chowed like spaghetti pretty crazy
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby goldcoastbokke » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:08 am

anrt u worried,that by feeding it a wild snake,ur gonah give it worms or parasites??... i wouldnt dare feed any wild dead animals to my Sand or lace monitors!..kool pics tho! wish we could get exotics over here in australia!
BRING EXOTICS TO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!1
goldcoastbokke
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:03 pm

goldcoastbokke wrote:anrt u worried,that by feeding it a wild snake,ur gonah give it worms or parasites??... i wouldnt dare feed any wild dead animals to my Sand or lace monitors!..kool pics tho! wish we could get exotics over here in australia!

You got lace monitors and you want exotics, you must be mental, don't you have enough to keep you busy :lol:

Ideally it would not be a good idea to feed wild animals, but the exanthemticus here in SA aren't captive breds, they are harvested (either by eggs or WC babies) so generally their systems are not adapted to captive conditions and can handle a diet of wild animals, I feed a lot of insects to mine that I find in the garden or out in the field and have not had any problems with parasites.

Fooble wrote: I saw a youtube video of a guy feeding a bunch of corn snakes to his Bosc live snakes where chowed like spaghetti pretty crazy

Generally most veranids (except your larger species) are terrified of snakes because they are predators, but I suppose size of food item also plays a role, that snake is very large and its odd for it to take such a large snake. Quite interesting.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Take it from me, Bosch monitors looooove snakes. If your Bosch ever monitor escapes from his tank pray you don't have any escapee snakes in the vicinity. Enough said
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby zululand » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

This is not something I feed them all the time but hey it didn't go to waste!

I did give some thought to parasites etc. but as Buck says these Bosc's in SA come from all over so the chances of having true captive bred clean animals is very small. I'll send you a Bosc for a Lace Monitor anyday!!

If they ever get out it would be a good contest to see who wins, the Gaboons or the Bosc!
http://www.thewetlandpark.co.za

Follow us on Twitter - www.twitter.com/thewetlandpark
zululand
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:45 pm

I was looking at the pics and my daughter saw it. Her comment: "naughty lizard...going to hit it's bum" (was said in afrikaans). What can I say...we a snake family lol.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)