My bosc update/queries

My bosc update/queries

Postby Marion » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi all
I bought some boscs last year and think they are about a year old now. In the beginning they were very aggressive with a lot of tail swiping and hissing. I persevered and now have two cute little guys that still hiss but allow me to handle them when I want to. One of them has a really powerful tail swipe - too cute for words. As soon as I pick them up they calm down and let me hold them for a while and then start wriggling to be let down.

I weighed them this week and one of them is 1.3 kg and the other is 1.1 kg. It's actually amazing how powerful they are.

How heavy are they likely to get as full grown adults? How old will they be before I can call them adults? Right now I would say they are about 55-60 cm long including the tail. I am almost 100% sure they are both males and get on well with each other right now. Is this likely to change even though they have been together since babies? There is no sign of aggression right now so I am hoping it will stay like that!

I know sexing them is difficult and mine didn't oblige by showing me any bits to identify them as male or female! So I have just done what I do with my other lizards and checked for the two bumps where hemipenes are hidden. They both have the two bumps - so they must be boys.

I had a real problem keeping them warm enough in their outside habitat this winter so have moved them inside into one of my large vacant cages - much easier to keep warm and humid. I also get to see them all the time and they can see all of us.

Their appetite has slowed down a bit in this cold weather but still do their food justice. I feed them chicken hearts which they love, chicken necks, mice and any item small enough for them that my cats bring in, like wild mice and small birds, I also dump a load of crickets into the cage every few days - just so they have something to chase. They seem to thrive on what I feed them so I must be doing something right I think.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions or hints I would be more than happy to hear them. I must say having these guys has been an education! They are so different to my beardies and frilles. But I find them great fun.

Thanks for listening.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)