Bosc monitor breeding

Bosc monitor breeding

Postby Marion » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi all
Today I decided to take Louis and Larry to Shabeer the reptile vet to see if they are both males as I suspected. He gave them a good look over and pronounced that Larry is actually a girl!!! I'm so chuffed!! I have been told that breeding boscs in captivity has not yet been successful in SA.

Has anyone managed to get them to lay eggs and have the eggs hatch in SA? If so, just how difficult was it? My two are both the same age (12-14 months) and completely unrelated.

They are both over the 60 cm mark and Louis weighs over 1.6 kg already. Fortunately Shabeer said they were not too fat and looked really healthy, so I am pleased about that.

I think they are too young to breed still but would like to know at what age they are mature enough. I would like to give it a try when they are old enough, so if anyone has ANY advice, I would be really grateful.

I can use the next year or so to make sure they are really healthy before they are actually ready to breed.

Thanks
Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bosc monitor breeding

Postby top dog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:58 am

i was in the vet at the same time, with the red and white pit
good luck is all the advise i can offer
never tried to breed bosch, just thought it was great to see you on the forum
top dog

Postby F1refly » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:18 am

I think that if you can, you should try as it would be a major accomplishment. The best thing to do would be to google for any Varanid Forums and ask as many questions as possible and dig around for info.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks Firefly.

I am really keen to breed with them and have already started to check out all the websites. Fortunately I have a little time before they are of breeding age!

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)