new to bocsc monitor

new to bocsc monitor

Postby nev210 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 am

My father in law just got him self a bocs, shes about 70 cm from a guy that left.to go overseas, its quite t0cm ame, thecage is big, its about 1. 5 m x 600 x 600,

I just want to know am currently feeding him a chicken neck aday, only one.tho? Is this enough? Tooo much??

He bocs does walk around the yard ever second day, any other advice or tips please, thanks alot
nev210
SA Reptiles Member

Re: new to bocsc monitor

Postby scotty121 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:32 am

You should feed him on crickets and.meal worms, a rat or chicken neck should be fed once a week or once a month, not to sure of the meat parts.

For the garden, taking him out every second day will not do any harm, just make sure there are no dogs or cats around and you keep an eye on him.
He will probably get used to coming out, so if you wanted you could keep doing this and if you have no animals you can keep doing this and even wait till he uses the toilet either out side or in the kombuis, I have seen this done with a komodo dragon, so I don't see why you can not do it with a bosch monitor.
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nev210 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 pm

How many crickets/ mealworms a day? And everday ?

So 1 chicken neck a day is not good? Whats the consequecs of a chicken neck aday???

Thanks
nev210
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scotty121 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Give the Bosch about 5 crickets a day, maybe a few more and not to many meal worms.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with chicken necks, the Bosch I used to work with got a rat a week, depending.
If at first you don't succeed it won't hurt to smoke some weed, Dr Dre.
scotty121
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:03 am

Hi Nev210.

Feeding any type of monitor depends on what type of environment they are kept in. Feeding should be followed by correct basking temperature for digestion. Too low a basking temp may cause liver problems at a later stage in life. Food sorce should have the correct calcium D3 suplimet. Our bosch, the same size would have x 3 necks and x 3 chicken hearts every 3 days. This would be mixed with frozen thawed mice every so often. Every second meal was suplamented with exoterra D3 and a multi vitamin. Even though they don't need uv tubes in the cage, calcium intake is important. Crickets are also a good meal for them. A small snack but a healthy one considering their choice in the wild.

Cheers,
J

Cri
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi all

Looks like my two have it far too good! They eat like little pacmen.

Mine get crickets at least once a week. I drop about 100 crickets in the enclosure so they can run around and catch them and get some exercise.

I also feed them on chicken necks about once every 10 days - at least 6 necks each. They also get chicken hearts as a main course every 2nd to 3rd day and will happily devour around 15 hearts each in one sitting.

I also give them the occasional rat pup or should I say rat pups - Louis will each 6 at a time!

As both of them are at least 80cm long and weigh 3 Kg + each, I am also going to start to source day old chicks (dead/frozen ones) and see how that goes. All meals are liberally dusted with Calcium and D3 powder.

So - am I overfeeding them? While they were growing so fast I fed them every day but now skip one or two days between feedings to make sure they don't get too fat.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)