my bosc

my bosc

Postby mitsipedro » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:11 pm

first of all hi to everyone,
I have a bosc that i bought in june this year, he/she is growing well and eating etc fine, lives in a 8ft x4ftx4ft viv with large bath and 2ft of substrate, i was just wondering though, every now and again he buries himself in the soil, doesnt dig a burrow just kind of slides under the top if the soil and then digs himself down, so you cant see any signs of where he is, how long can he stay under the soil like this before i should start to worry about him as at the moment ive left him for 3 days then slowly dug around until i find him, im just worried about how long he can be under the soil like this. There are plenty of morio worms etc in the soil as well just dont want anything happening to him. Thanks for any advise.
mitsipedro
SA Reptiles Member

Re: my bosc

Postby mitsipedro » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

i take it no one knows the answer to my above post.
mitsipedro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:59 am

Hi mitsipedro.

Pictures of your viv would be great, sounds nice. Is it indoors or outdoors. What sort of lighting are you using? What sort of basking temp have you got in there and what is the cool side temp sitting at.

Cheers, j
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mitsipedro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am

hi there, my viv is indoors its too cold in the uk for an outdoor one, his basking spot fluctuates between 45 and 55 c his cool end is 22c and overall ambient temps are around 30c in the day dropping to 18c at night. I use 3 60w spot bulbs for his basking area, i also have a ceramic heater and two tube heaters in there to help hold the temps, he has a large bath in there to soak in and humidity is also around 60 per cent.

hope the pic links worked.
mitsipedro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 pm

If the soil bothers you take it out, they need nothing more than newspaper. Newspaper doesn't look so great, but it is higienic and easy to clean. i keep my monitors just on newspaper when they are in their indoor enclosures. There are a number of nasty germs in soil.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mitsipedro » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:19 pm

the soil doesnt bother me and your monitors arent kept correctly if they dont have soil, and it will be to the detrement of their health, i only wanted to know how long he can stay under the soil for, and his soil is sterilised.

Please us proper punctuation and capital letters if you want people to take you seriously.
mitsipedro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:37 pm

mitsipedro, I was just trying to help, SORRY. Soil will entertain them, not promote their health. He will come out of the soil before he suffocates or anything. Cheers.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi there
I have 2 adult boscs in an outdoor enclosure. They also like to bury themselves in the soil. It doesn't seem to bother them and they can be under there for hours at a time. I am told that they burrow in the wild so digging must be in their nature. Even when I put them in the indoor cage for feeding purposes, I use newspaper and they also hide under there. Once they have eaten and I can see how much they have devoured, I put them back in their outside enclosure.

I have a nice big box for a hide and they spend a lot of time in there - under the soil!! I often only see a piece of tail or a nose sticking out, so I leave them be. A couple of times a week the enclosure gets a soak of water - a fine spray, they have their large bowl to swim in (and they do) and also spend some time climbing up and down the sides of the enclosure.

They seem perfectly happy so I am leaving things as they are.

Hope that helps a bit.

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mitsipedro » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:35 am

herpcrazy wrote:mitsipedro, I was just trying to help, SORRY. Soil will entertain them, not promote their health. He will come out of the soil before he suffocates or anything. Cheers.

wasnt being funny. just that all the care sheets you read always say they need the soil to be able to regulate body temps and be able to burrow and keep humidity where it should be. thanks anyway.
mitsipedro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mitsipedro » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57 am

[quote="Marion"]Hi there
I have 2 adult boscs in an outdoor enclosure. They also like to bury themselves in the soil. It doesn't seem to bother them and they can be under there for hours at a time. I am told that they burrow in the wild so digging must be in their nature. Even when I put them in the indoor cage for feeding purposes, I use newspaper and they also hide under there. Once they have eaten and I can see how much they have devoured, I put them back in their outside enclosure.

I have a nice big box for a hide and they spend a lot of time in there - under the soil!! I often only see a piece of tail or a nose sticking out, so I leave them be. A couple of times a week the enclosure gets a soak of water - a fine spray, they have their large bowl to swim in (and they do) and also spend some time climbing up and down the sides of the enclosure.

They seem perfectly happy so I am leaving things as they are.

Hope that helps a bit.

Marion
yes it does thank you i appreciate it
mitsipedro
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Boscs monitors (Varanus exanthematicus)