Isopods in Tarantula Enclosures

Isopods in Tarantula Enclosures

Postby F1refly » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey all. I saw on the SA Tarantulas forum that some people keep Isopods or woodlice in their tarantula tanks. Do any of you on this forum keep them? I find it very interesting but I am too scared too try it.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Isopods in Tarantula Enclosures

Postby Spider » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:05 pm

I don't use them myself but they can be put to good use. The reason why I don't use them is to elliminate stress. I believe the spiders won't like a few creepy crawly's all over the tank when the are laying on their backs trying to molt.

But I guess if you make sure that all off the isopods have been eaten prior to the molt it should be fine. But in my opinion it is something extra that needs your attention at the end of the day.
And if you check your T's cages daily and remove any leftover food then what the hell do you need them for?

Maybe they are for the more lazy keepers.
“When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion”
Spider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spider » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:15 pm

For those of you that dont know why woodlice are used : Woodlice are detrivores , this means the consume dead organic matter.
Therefore cleaning the tarantula cage off any rotting material.
“When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion”
Spider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:42 am

Well I won’t say for the lazy keepers, But more for the Keeper who won't give he's Tarantulas much more advanced care!

I use them in my enclosures they really help for your arboreal tanks and for food that you miss when cleaning the tanks also if you have a dead cricket or roach that went and died somewhere that you can see they will find it and eat it no more smell or small little flies in your Tanks and if you have a Tarantula that webs allot the crickets tend to get stuck and die and get webbed over the isopods find them and eat them!.
They don’t bug your Ts as they go and find a hiding spot that’s where they stay until they smell food lying around!
I got 5 isopods liven with my N chromatus in her hide with her and she is fine with it.

The isopods don’t need much care as they look after them self’s as long as the tank does not get to dry and there is food and the spider does not eat them :).

They do work and help I have had no problems and been usen them for the last 3 years .
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping